Quidditch and Curses

"Rose!" she heard Al call her name during breakfast the next morning and turned expecting to see their usual happy faces emerging from a dark corridor, but today they didn't look happy, on the contrary, they look highly distressed

"What's wrong?" she asked.

Al grabbed her by the arm and pulled her away from the breakfast table.

"Where's Max?" he asked looking around worriedly.

"He's still in his bed."

"But you've seen him?" asked Scorpius seriously.

"Yes, I sent him to bed because he still looked ill, why? What's this about?" she asked worriedly as well.

Al and Scor collapsed onto the Ravenclaw bench behind them and sighed half relieved.

"Guys?" Rose snapped, now angry that they had wound her up and dropped her again.

"Look," Al breathed, standing back up and grabbing her arms seriously. "when making the potion yesterday, Roxanne had forgotten to add a splinter of Rockshood."

"Would that make such a big difference?" she asked.

"Rose! It made all the difference in the world!" Al exclaimed grabbing his hair furiously. "I woke up in the middle of the night because something didn't feel right. I looked back into the antidote book and realized what we had forgotten! So I woke Scor and we-" he looked around to see if anyone was listening. "We snuck out to do some research in the library. Rosie, without the Rockshood, the bubbli pod's venom wouldn't be diluted! It would have still been poisonous! And letting the potion simmer would cause the poison only to grow stronger! We tried to buzz you through the mirror, but you didn't pick up. So we ran to the portrait of the fat lady, but she wouldn't let us in without the password!"

"Still be poison?" she blinked shaking her head. "What are you saying?"

"We're saying," Scor pushed forward and leaned in to whisper. "That Max should be dead." Rose backed up quickly. "He should have been dead within the hour, Rosie."

She ran from the hall as quickly as she could and within ten minutes, was running up the boy's staircase and into Max's room.

"Max!" she called shaking him. He woke startled and looked around hurriedly.

"There you are telling me to get a lot of rest because I look awful and you're the one waking me up," he said laying back down.

"Are you feeling alright?" she whispered.

"Not much different than I was twenty minutes ago," he yawned rolling over.

"Are you sure? You don't feel anything happening? Maybe something burning inside of you?"

Max turned over slowly with raised eyebrows. "Did you poison me?" he asked.

She sighed happily. "No," she smiled. "no I didn't. Calvert?" she spoke to the yellow-haired boy who had been leaning against his bed looking at them over his comic book.