Detention in the Kitchen

Rose woke one morning feeling very well rested

Rose woke one morning feeling very well rested. Mary's owl, Cromwell, was still in the hospital wing.

There was a small 'thunk' and Rose turned to see Pamela sitting on her bed holding her head.

"Bedpost?" Rose asked.

"Yeah. I keep hitting my head on them," she replied.

Quidditch tryouts were at three that afternoon and Rose was beginning to feel more and more nervous. And when she sat at the Slytherin table with Al and Scorpius, it was clear that Scorpius was too.

"I don't think I can do this." said Scorpius not eating anything.

"Nonsense," said Max sitting beside him. "You'll regret it if you don't. And what's the worst that can happen?"

"He can fall off his broom or make a fool of himself," replied Al unhelpfully, eating coco crumbs. He looked up to see Scor's pale face looking at him. "Sorry," he said through a mouth full of cereal. "I told you I did that a lot."

"Issue is," said Maddox, "If you both make your teams, when Slytherin and Gryffindor play against each other, I'll have to root against Scor. And just think of the rivalry between you two when the game approaches."

"Why don't you root against Rose?" asked Scorpius.

"Because I'm Gryffindor, I'll always root for my own team, won't I? It only makes sense." Max replied.

They left the great hall trying to cheer Scorpius up. Then seeing that it wasn't helping him, Al began telling him all the things that can go wrong so it would seem better by comparison. Scorpius didn't like that too much; he became paler as the list went on.

Maddox and Rose split for Charms while Scorpius and Al left for Transfiguration.

They were now learning how to do freezing Charms and were giving the task to freeze pillows in midair while they were hurtled toward the class. They first had spent the previous classes working on casting things away. So, when they split into teams, Maddox would be able to cast the pillows at her, and she would try to freeze them. Rose's pillow kept slowing down in midair and slowly sinking to the ground. Her charm wasn't quite strong enough to keep it in suspended animation. Maddox was quite a bit better at it than she was. At the end of class, he had been able to keep the pillow there for as long as he wanted and was awarded ten points for Gryffindor.

At the end of the Defense Against the Dark Arts class later that day, Professor Dalbert called Rose and Maddox back for the second time.

"I had forgotten to tell you what time your detentions will be. You will please meet me in the great hall at ten tonight, where I will escort you to the kitchens. And here," he handed them two stickers, Maddox got a broomstick and Rose got a rose. She looked at the little black sticker, then back at him. "What? It's a rose, I thought it would be clever. Please peel back the plastic and place them on your writing hand."