Chapter 78 - Leading by Love

Start from the beginning

"Good. Project your peace to them. Let them feel it," instructed Ani. "Now tell me what you feel."

That one over there, the lead of the transport workers. The one handling the power converter right now. He feels . . . stronger to me, indicated Rey.

"Yes. But, we don't want just anyone," spoke Ani. "What is he thinking?"

He's shielding, argued Rey.

"They're instinctive at best and easily passed through. Do it."

Ahhh. An undercurrent of dissatisfaction, of longing to leave this place, of a family, read Rey with her eyes closed.

"Tell me, can you use that to win him to your side?" asked Ani.

Yes, answered Rey as she started down the stairs to the main floor. "Easy. Let's start over here with the small parts. Look them over, and take some for that console in your quarters. Start a conversation and set them at ease."

Rey took a deep breath and moved to the area, her robe and cloak swishing behind her as she moved, while her boots clicked on the tile floor. She moved to a parts bay and started examining the different devices, all stored on a shelves and neatly labeled. One of the women glanced over in her direction, and then she moved her head quickly back to her work, nervous. Rey projected peace again to the workers.

Rey strode over to one of the technicians, who was working on a hatch mechanism. She stared at the work, her hands itching to hold the Pilex driver. The technician looked up at her and stood quickly at attention, saluting. "Lady Rey."

"Carry on, Technician," she replied with a slight smile. She looked over his shoulder and watched as he manipulated the parts. "May I make a suggestion?"

"Of course, Lady Rey," replied the tech.

"Lift the actuator up while you solder the end of the coil, and then return it to position," mentioned Rey.

"Thank you, but the actuator is broken, too," mentioned the man.

"Then remove the actuator and replace it."

"We don't have another actuator. We are waiting for more from Estrella," indicated the man.

"What happened to this control?" asked Rey. "Battle damage?"

"No, Lord Kylo damage," mentioned the man, loosening up with her.

"I've seen some of his handiwork," mentioned Rey with a grimace. The man looked back at her trying to determine what she was implying. "In my quarters. Mind if I try my hand at this?"

"Be my guest, Lady Rey, but without a new actuator, we can only take it apart," replied the tech as he stood and allowed the Lady of Ren to sit at his station.

Rey tucked back her cloak and picked up the Pilex driver. Once she had removed the actuator, she was able to adjust the spring coil. She looked at the actuator and determined that only the power control was damaged. "Do you have a T1-X3 power module?"

"I think so. Let me check stores, Lady Rey," replied the tech as he moved to the storeroom. He returned quickly, out of breath, handing her the part in a small case.

After Rey removed it, she took a deep breath. This was the first time she had actually ever worked with new parts. It shined in the worklights and smelled metallic, not dirty. She seated the power module in the actuator and reattached the chains to the gears. "Ready?" The tech nodded back as Rey activated the device.

"You fixed it! Thank you, Lady Rey," mentioned the tech.

"I enjoyed it. It has been too long since I've worked with tools. What's your name?" asked Rey.