Chapter 41 - Takodana

As the Falcon dropped out of hyperspace, it zoomed over the green-blue planet of Takodana. Rey had never seen anything so beautiful before in her life. The vegetation and water both glistened like jewels. Wait! How would I know that? I've never seen jewels before, or have I? This is so frustrating. I can't tell what is a memory and what is my imagination. Maybe I am hallucinating, and I'll wake up in the walker, sweating out a rad poisoning yet again.

Rey gazed out of the cockpit window, her eyes drawn to the deep blue of the lake they were skimming. As her eyes filled with tears, she gasped involuntarily and said, "I didn't know there was this much green in the whole galaxy . . ." She could feel Han watching her, watching her with wonder. That connection again. Maybe she was not imagining it. Maybe he felt it, too.

Han expertly brought the Falcon into a landing position in a clearing near what could only be called a castle, rising with towers and banners.

As Rey stepped off the Falcon, the ground was moist and spongy. Strange. It doesn't feel like ground at all . . . well, at least not like sand—whether packed or on the dunes. It's chilly here, too. I hope I'm not getting sick. That's the only time I'm ever cold. I wonder what people do when they're cold? Do they have special clothes or something?

Han handed her a blaster, which she took. This doesn't look like any type of blaster this guy would use, except in a pinch. Very feminine. I wonder where he got it, and for whom. Rey hefted the blaster. It fit perfectly in her grip. She aimed it at a tree, focusing with one eye, and squeezed. Nothing happened.

Han grabbed it back from her and showed her a latch on the side of the device. "Safety. Turn it on when you're carrying it, off when you're using it. You got a lot to learn. What's your name?"

"Rey," she stated, looking him in the eye. It was obvious he wanted to talk to her about something important. Why am I nervous? . . . A job! He's offering me a job! I can't believe it! I can leave Jakku—no, I can't leave Jakku. I've got to wait for my family. They're coming back. I know it.

Han was definitely disappointed when she refused the position. He probably hasn't invited anyone on his ship permanently in a long time, surmised Rey, knowing that she knew the truth. And whoever that was, this was her blaster, Rey knew instinctively.

Rey followed Han as he lead them toward the castle, a wretched hive of scum and villainy. Maybe I can find passage off this planet, get BB-8 back to the Resistance, and make it back to Jakku before too long.