Chapter 17 - Relations

Rey pulled hard on her spanner against the last frozen bolt holding the X-Wing's one good engine to the frame. She grunted and strained, sweat running down her face.

It had been two years since Rey had finished the TIE fighter simulations. In the last two years, Ani had opened up his personal simulations, allowing Rey to fly Rebel snub fighters, pod racers, and even a sleek Nubian yacht.

Ani had been reluctant to allow Rey access to the Nubian program, but he eventually gave into her pleading. He could not resist her smile.

But now that Rey had traded enough parts for rations to last a month, Ani had turned her attention to getting one of the X-wings flying again. The one they had chosen had one good engine.

Ani figured if they scavenged another engine from another craft, they could at least get it up in the air. It would never make it into space, but Rey would be able to fly it atmospherically.

So, Rey continued with her spanner, wiping the sweat which dripped from her forehead. She grunted and then hit the bolt with her spanner, yelling at it.

Then Ani appeared. "Rey, don't get angry with it."

"Where have you been?" Rey snapped.

"Here and there." That was the only answer he would ever give her. At first, she thought he was looking around the graveyard when he was gone, but now she got the feeling he was in a different part of the galaxy.

"Arrgh!" Rey grunted as she tried to loosen the bolt, wishing she had some lubricant for it. She grabbed her left hand and put it in her mouth, trying to stop the bleeding.

She grabbed the spanner again and with all of her anger pulled on it. She could feel the extra power her anger brought her.

"Not that way, Rey. Not with anger."

"Then you do it!" Rey yelled, walking a few feet away, glaring at the ghost.

"Rey," Ani said, "what's wrong?"

"Everything. This stupid engine. Unkar cheating me on portions. His henchmen pawing over me. You disappearing all the time when I need you." Rey broke down into tears.

"Hey." Ani moved to hug her.

"Don't touch me!" 

"Rey, show some respect."

"Why? I'm not even sure if you are my granddad anymore."She returned to the offending bolt. "All I have is your word on it. It's not like there's any proof."

"Is that what this is all about?" Ani asked, stunned. "I don't lie, Rey."

"But you won't tell me where you've been," Rey said. "That's almost the same."

"No, it's not," Ani said. "You don't need to know everything I do. It doesn't concern you."

"If we're family, then it concerns me."

Ani thought about that for a moment, realizing she was being slightly illogical. "Family members don't share everything with each other, Rey."

"How would I know. I only have you, and what if you aren't really my granddad?" Rey asked, upset again.

"Well, you certainly have my temper," Ani joked with a half-smile.

"Ohhh!" 

"Stop, Rey," Ani commanded with all of his authority.

"No!"

"Yes. Let's get this settled once and for all."

"How?"