Chapter 16 - TIE Advanced Simulator

It took a full month before Ani would allow Rey to return to scavenging and flight lessons. The first week back in the walker, fatigue wracked her little body. Feverish dreams attacked her each night. Rey tossed and turned in her hammock, swinging it back-and-forth.

She was so hot, standing out under Jakku's brutal sun. A large, scaly hand grabbed her little one as she reached to the sky toward the ship that had just launched. Rey screamed, "Mommy! Mommy! Come back! Come back!"

Unkar's hand pulled Rey backward and yelled, "Quiet, Girl!"

Rey jolted to alertness as her hammock hit the bulkhead, banging her head against the wall

Rey jolted to alertness as her hammock hit the bulkhead, banging her head against the wall. She cried as she woke up, putting her hand to her head.

Ani appeared and put his arms around her, holding her head to dull the pain with pressure. "Hush, Rey, it was only a dream. I'm here."

She snuffled as she remembered the sequence. She could smell the ship's fuel, Unkar, and even the blood that ran from her nose where Unkar had hit her. And then it hit her. Rey screamed out, as if in pain. "Granddad! Granddad!"

"What's wrong, Rey?" Ani asked, confused. "Those people can't hurt you anymore. It was only a vision of the past. It's gone now."

"No, that's not it. Granddad, I don't remember what Mommy looks like anymore," Rey cried, her hope for rescue dying with this realization.

Ani held her for a long time as she cried. Rey was not feeling fully well yet, and Ani was afraid to do anything that might upset her use of the Force. Since her sickness, any use of the Force just made her violently ill. Ani guessed that the sickness had taken the memory of her mother from her as well. "Rey, can you feel me, still? With the Force?"

Barely nodding her head, Rey said, "Umm-huh."

"That's good."

"But what about Mommy? Can't you take me to her, Ani?"

Ani, knowing the dangers that lay beyond Jakku for Rey, shook his head no. "But I can guarantee one thing, Rey."

"What?"

"Just as you feel me and know me to be your granddad, you will be able to feel your mommy when you see her—know that she is your mommy," Ani said. "The Force runs strong in our family, and you will feel it within her, as with all of your family."

"Who are they?" Rey asked. "Where are they? Tell me, Granddad, please."

"Enough. They aren't here. Just know that you have a family. And one day you will meet them all, Rey. And you will save the Dark One and bring him back to the light."