Chapter 34 - Garbage Will Do

Rey dropped the spherical droid to the sand from the top of her speeder. His heavy weight spread sand everywhere. She encouraged, "Don't give up. He still might show up. Whoever it is you're waiting for. Classified. I know all about waiting."

The droid beeped a question. Rey answered, "For my family. They'll be back. One day. Come on." Rey knew one day they were coming back, and she could not wait to see her mother stepping down the ramp of the ship to reclaim her. She had often daydreamed of it happening right here at the outpost. She shook her head to bring herself back to reality and trading with Unkar. The little droid followed her, too.

_________________________

Rey lifted her goods onto the counter. In recent months, Unkar had become more and more stingy with his goods. Rey was not sure if the First Order was taxing him or if he was planning something. She only knew that it took more and more salvage to just survive on this rock. She hated Unkar, but he was a necessary evil. Without him, many would die here.

Over the last year, whatever compassion Unkar had for Rey had disappeared. He occasionally looked around furtively when she traded with him, wondering if there would be retribution for his actions, but he always smiled with relief when his transactions with her were over. Rey could only think it had to do with whatever weird religion Unkar practiced. He was constantly talking about a ghost named Vader. He must worship him or something, thought Rey. But what an odd religion where you're always looking for your god to punish you.

Unkar took a piece in his hand and mentioned, "These five pieces are worth . . . Let me see here . . . One half portion."

Rey objected, "Last week they were a half portion each." She glared at him, angry, wishing she could reach through those bars and choke him, but his henchmen would stop her if she even tried.

Unkar grinned as he swindled her. He took inordinate pleasure in getting the best of this troublesome scavenger. But he was not finished yet. The real transaction of the day was that droid. Unkar leaned forward, looking at the droid. "What about the droid?"

Rey asked nonchalantly, "What about him?"

"I'll pay for him."

The droid beeped in fear. Rey considered the offer; there was no doubt she needed the rations and the water.

"Sixty portions," offered Unkar.

Rey was stunned, her stomach rumbling at the amount of food this would represent. She could start her get-off-this-rock fund again; she could go to bed full and not hungry like most nights; she could take a day off from scavenging.

Her thoughts were interrupted by the droid beeping. He appeared distressed at this situation. Rey looked at Unkar and then back to the droid. She remembered being a slave to Unkar, but the hunger pangs were just as real as those memories. Rey, about to give in, heard the man's voice again. "Rey, you can't. The droid needs you. You can't sell him to Unkar."

Rey took a deep breath, knowing that the man was right, also knowing she would wake up hungry tomorrow, just as hungry as she was now. The droid looked at her again, moving his head from side-to-side, pleading with her. Rey turned back to Unkar and announced, "Actually . . . the droid's not for sale." She turned from Unkar taking her half portion with her and said to the droid, "Come on."

As she left the booth, Unkar furiously picked up a communicator and ordered into it, "Follow the girl and get that droid." His security barrier slid up, covering the window as Unkar departed.

_________________________

Rey crossed the marketplace with the small droid following behind her. She stopped and kneeled, "No, you can't follow me. I'm not your master."