One

2016

"Can't believe that my baby girl is leaving us", Mrs. Park said while hugging Daiyan as they stand in front of the international departure gate. "You know that I'm going there to further my studies right?", she replied her mother's hug. "You could've picked something closer, right?", Mr. Park joined in the group hug. "The two of you know how much I want to learn more about where we come from", Daiyan said to her parents.

"I may be a US citizen, but my roots are there and I know nothing about it since the two of you avoid the conversation", she added as she let go of both of her parents. "We know, but you know part of it. It's not that you didn't know at all", Mr. Park said as he pats his daughter's head for the last time before he let her go live her dream elsewhere. "I know, granddad did not approve your marriage to mom so the two of you fled the country and that's when you had me", "That's right, and never forget that you are our pride and joy", Mr. Park said. "We love you, okay?", "I know", Daiyan hugged both her parents once last time before she disappeared right before their eyes as she passed through the international departure. She made sure to turn around and wave goodbye to them before she passed the auto-gate.

Daiyan looked at the time and realized that she had time to spare before her gate opens for boarding, so she decided to walk around and get a cup of coffee. After she got her caffeine, she roamed around the area before heading to her gate.

Looks like it's almost time to start my new life over there - D

"Good evening passengers. This is the pre-boarding announcement for flight KE704 to Seoul, South Korea. We are now inviting those passengers with small children, and any passengers requiring special assistance, to begin boarding at this time. Please have your boarding pass and identification ready. Regular boarding will begin in approximately ten minutes. Thank you", and that's when she knew it was her time. 

Daiyan took her bag and rolled her way to queue and wait for her turn. Soon enough, she was inside the airplane that will take her on an adventure of her lifetime. "Ladies and gentlemen, welcome onboard Flight KE704 with service from Los Angeles, California to Seoul, South Korea. We are currently second in line for take-off and are expected to be in the air in approximately seven minutes. We ask that you please fasten your seatbelts at this time and secure all baggage underneath your seat or in the overhead compartments. We also ask that your seats and table trays are in the upright position for take-off. Please turn off all personal electronic devices, including laptops and cell phones. Smoking is prohibited for the duration of the flight. Thank you for choosing Korean Air. Enjoy your flight.", the flight attendant said as she gave her pre-flight announcement.

"Good evening passengers. This is your captain speaking. First I'd like to welcome everyone on Boeing 787 Flight KE704. We are currently cruising at an altitude of 33,000 feet at an airspeed of 400 miles per hour. The time is 5:10 pm. The weather looks good and with the tailwind on our side, we are expecting to land in Seoul, South Korea approximately in 13 hours. The weather in Seoul is cloudy and if the weather cooperates we should get a great view of the city as we descend. The cabin crew will be coming around in about twenty minutes to offer you a light snack and beverage, and the inflight movie will begin shortly after that. I'll talk to you again before we reach our destination. Until then, sit back, relax and enjoy the rest of the flight", the captain made an announcement about 10 minutes into the flight.

All right Daiyan, like the captain said 'sit back, relax and enjoy the rest of the flight'. So that is what you are going to do for the next thirteen hours. - D

Los Angeles, California ✈️  Seoul, South Korea
🛫 13 hours later🛬