Chapter Thirteen

In the Spotlight

   The tour had been going really well, with no problems along the way. We had been travelling for over a month now, with only two more shows to go.

   We were in New York now, and it was the first time I had ever been there. The most exciting part for me, which everyone was shocked at, were the red stairs from The Amazing Spiderman. I was the biggest Spiderman fan so being in New York meant that when we were walking around, I was always pointing out buildings and objects that had been in the films. A few of us had even gone to a store that was dedicated to Spiderman (I bought way too much, if I'm completely honest. I probably didn't need the Spiderman themed bed sheets).

   It was two hours before the show, during the final moments of sound check that disaster struck. AJ had been playing the piano for Granger Danger on the side when he stood up and rushed off quickly. Everyone's fears had come to life: AJ had gotten food poisoning.

   I had been sitting in the audience seats, playing Temple Run on my phone, so I didn't even realise what had happened. Julia had rushed up to me, shaking me out of my stupor.

   "Maia, please, you gotta play for us. AJ's sick, as expected. Reckon you could fill in?"

   "Yeah, yeah, of course. Easy."

   I was then rushed backstage to get an appropriate costume and try and remember as much of the sheet music as possible.

   My makeup consisted of bold red lipstick and winged silver eyeliner, whilst my costume was black leather pants, a black shirt and my Doc Martins. My hair was then twisted into a high ponytail, secured with two hair ties.

 My hair was then twisted into a high ponytail, secured with two hair ties

   It was simple, yet somehow elegant. The leather pants were a little gross, though, especially since they clung to me like a second skin.

   I made my way to the piano, glad that I had left my crutches on the bus. Navigating the mess of props, wires and costume pieces would have been a disaster. I sat down on the stool and placed the sheet music on the holder.

   Thankfully none of the songs were particularly difficult, as I wasn't that great at reading music and I would need to practice multiple times before I would feel comfortable. Although, with an hour and a half left until the show started, I could probably only run through each song twice.

...

   Playing the piano for the Starkids was an interesting experience. I spent the majority of time looking carefully at the other musicians, as they would give my the cue of when to start playing.

   As the final notes of Days of Summer faded out, the applause erupted and all the actors walked back out onto stage. This was the point where they would thank everyone for coming, say that merch is still being sold and that they'll be heading out soon to meet them all. Each night someone different spoke and tonight it was Lauren.

   "I've got one more thing to say and then all of you can leave. Maia, can you come up here, please?"

   I shakily stood up, not knowing what Lauren was doing. I stood next to her, glancing between her and the audience warily.

   "This is Maia. She is my best friend. She moved here from New Zealand a few months ago and chose to come on tour with us for absolutely no reason. She wasn't meant to be in the show, she was meant to be sitting down there with you guys. But tonight, when AJ fell sick, she stepped in and played every song on the piano. I'd like you all to join me in applause, as she had never played these songs before, let alone seen the score." As the crowd whooped, whistled and clapped, I hid my face in my hands. "Thank you so much, Maia. You saved the show."

   All the Starkids then crowded around me, giving the biggest group hug I had ever been in. It was nice to feel included like this.

   We all bowed before heading off the stage. Both Joey and Lauren asked me to join them at the merch stand, and I would have felt bad if I had said no. They had been the ones to suggest that I join them on tour, and Lauren had just given me a beautiful thanks, so I felt obliged to join them.

   The merch stall was pretty big, with four tables lined up next to each other, laden with shirts, jumpers, posters, wrist bands, sunglasses, and even a few DVDs. Lauren had placed me near the end, where people were getting items signed.

   "Don't forget to be nice, stink," she whispered in my ear.

   "Oh, like you are to me?"

   She laughed before heading back to the other side, where she was helping to sell shirts.

   I felt slightly uncomfortable out here;  no one had paid to see me and no one even knew who I was until five minutes ago.

   "Hi. It's Maia, right?"

   I looked up, not expecting someone to say my name. The person who had spoken was a girl with blonde hair and a Starkid shirt on.

   "Yeah, uh, that's me." I held out my hand for her to shake.

   "Could I get a photo with you? It's just, you're friends with Starkid and you're on tour with them and that's really cool."

   I was a little surprised but agreed anyway. Soon after, I had taken photos with three more fans and was left thoroughly confused. Apparently by participating at one show meant I was popular enough to get a photo with. I didn't understand it.

[what even was this chapter idk] [oh well, maia was in the show and it's coming to and end] [i finish my first semester at uni tomorrow this is exciting but then exams ew]