Chapter Six

Removing the Cast

   It was three weeks after my meeting with Mr Williams that I met with the physiotherapist he recommended. Her name was Vanessa and she was very ... blunt.

   "Your leg is completely f*cked and it's going to take months of recovery before you're able to play soccer again. You may never return to your original form."

   It hurt to hear, I won't lie. Soccer was my life, one of the two things I was actually good at. To think that I wouldn't be able to be as good as I once was was terrifying.

   "However, I will do my best to help you. So, let's get this cast off." She pulled out a machine that looked like a small handsaw. It was the weirdest sensation; it felt like a tickling vibration that resounded throughout my body. It didn't take very long, and soon the cast was off.

   "So, the boot allows you to walk without crutches. However, using crutches is still recommended. Only take the boot off for showers, baths, if you go swimming, and occasionally sleeping. However, swimming is not recommended, and try to keep the boot on for as long as possible when sleeping. It will be difficult, but it's important to keep your leg stabilised."

   The boot was amazing, to say the least. It was a whole lot better than a cast. I think the thing I was looking forward to the most was showering. I could finally have an actual shower and not have to wrap my entire leg in plastic bags and sit on the shower floor.

   Vanessa continued to give me the rules for wearing a boot, and how to walk on it properly. The crash course finished and I was allowed to leave.

   "Come back in two weeks. Get used to the boot then book an appointment so we can start with the actual physio."

   I nodded my head and said my thanks before heading out. Joey had called me the other day to get some coffee after physio, saying that he would pick me up. I walked down the fire stairs this time, wanting to push myself. It was exhausting and my leg ached after it, but it felt good at the same time. Thankfully there was only one flight of stairs.

   "Took you long enough," Joey called out from the open window of his car.

   "I have a broken leg asshole. Now come get my bag. Help the cripple."

   Joey laughed before getting out of his car. "Nice leg jewellery."

   Joey then drove us to some cafe that he liked. I found Joey incredibly funny and he was constantly making jokes. Our conversation flowed freely and there was never a lapse, resulting in silence. Needless to say, I had fun with Joey.

   "Well, the plan is to star in a big movie. Y'know, have my name in shining lights and have people calling out for me as I was down the carpet to the world premiere. I've been on a few Disney shows recently but there haven't been any big roles yet. I'm putting my name out there, though, and that's all I can do at the moment. What about you, Maia? You play soccer, right?"

   "Yeah, soccer's my thing. Uh, well, I haven't played in a while as you can probably tell by my leg. But I've been playing for years, at least since I was four. And then when I turned sixteen and I played for the under-eighteens New Zealand team, and I was sponsored by Nike. Soccer's basically my life and I miss not playing. When I get this boot off I might be playing for Michigan Uni's women's team."

   "Oh wow that's so amazing. You must be pretty good, then."

   "I'd like to think so."

   We finished our coffee before Joey dropped me off home.

   As I saw exited his car, I saw Lauren in the front window winking at me.

   I ignored her as I faced Joey. "I had a really great time today. Thanks for picking me up and taking me out."

   Joey leant against the side of his car, his arm resting on the roof. "Not a problem. I figured you'd need to have a little fun after physio."

   "Oh, definitely. I really appreciate it."

   Joey smiled. "I'm glad you had fun. We should do this again some time." His smile turned slightly flirty.

   "Yeah, just text me and we can organise something." I lifted a hand in lieu of goodbye before walking into the house.

   Lauren was on the other side of the door, waiting for me.

   "He's still looking! Dude, Maia, he's totally into you."

   I shook my head, blushing. "Lauren, I'm not looking for a relationship. You know this."

   "And you're totally crushing on him too! Oh my god, this is too good. I can hear the wedding bells ringing already!" Lauren, with her hands clasped in front of her, walked off, humming the bride's march softly.

   There goes my best friend, I thought, slightly mad.

[wrote the last half just then and i'm v sick and delirious, so apologies if it doesn't make sense]

[i go away in 2 weeks so i don't know how often i'll update bc internet may not always be available, but i'll try]

[i hope you guys are enjoying this, i know i am. let me know what you think in the comments! thank you for all the reads and votes, i love you all]