Chapter Four

The Workout

   The one thing I missed the most, other than having a free leg, was working out. Physical activity was such an important part of my life growing up in Taranaki, and it had stayed with me. But with a massive cast on my leg, and the fact that I couldn't walk properly without the aid of crutches, I wasn't able to work out as much as I needed and wanted to. So when Joe texted me asking me if I wanted to do arm and core workouts with him, I immediately said yes.

   I changed into my workout gear (again, all Nike, because that was all I had) before grabbing my phone, wallet, keys, saying goodbye to Lauren and Jaime and getting a taxi to Joe's. I could tell that the taxi driver was confused as to why I was in workout gear with a restrained leg.

   I paid the driver and struggled out of the seat, pulling my phone out of my bag to call Joe.

   "I'm out the front. But please, please, tell me there's a lift." I looked up at the tall apartment building, dread building in the pit of my stomach.

   "Of course there's a lift. I'd be f*cked if there wasn't a lift."

   The lift in Joe's apartment was swift but enclosing. The walls seemed to press in on me, suffocating me. Claustrophobia was the biggest annoyance. I sprung out of the coffin-like space as soon as the doors opened, gasping for fresh air.

   "Maia? You alright?" Joe asked; he had obviously waited outside his door so I knew which apartment was his.

   "Yeah," I huffed, still slightly out of breath. "Just claustrophobia. Don't worry about me."

   Joe looked at me in disbelief, as if he was worried, before shrugging it off and inviting me into his apartment.

   The room we entered was the lounge room, with two couches, a coffee table and a large TV. The room was airy and open plan, with the kitchen peeking from the left. For an apartment that housed two male young adults, it was nicely decorated. I really liked it.

   "Dylan might come out at one point, try not to look at him. He has a habit of forgetting pants when he wakes up."

   "Brilliant," I laughed.

   Joe led me out onto the balcony, where two mats had been laid out.

   "I figured the mats would be nicer to lay on," he explained.

   Our workout was amazing. It was very core and arms based, which meant that I didn't have to use my legs. It felt good to be working out again, to be physically active, to feel the endorphins and adrenaline running high. I felt buzzed for the first time in ages.

   My muscles ached after an hour long workout and sweat dripped down my back. The underboob sweat was on display for anyone to see but I couldn't care less. The pain and discomfort was evidence of a good time, and I wouldn't change it for anything.

   "Did you want to shower? You can use the one in Dylan's room, it's super fancy. It's got two heads; it's, like, amazing after a workout. Trust me, I speak from experience."

   "I would but showers just take way too long with the cast, it's too much of a hassle. But thanks for the offer." I smiled. Truly, I wished I could have used that shower but fate wasn't favouring me at the moment.

   "Well, I'm just going to have a quick shower. I'll be right out. That's if you don't mind."

   "Yeah, it's fine. I'll just watch some TV."

   Joe left the room, leaving me by myself. I sat down on the couch, allowing myself to sink into the cushions. I surfed through the channels before my eyes flickered to the piano, standing solitary next to the entrance to the kitchen.

   It had been a few months since the last time I had played, so I wasn't sure if I would still sound good, let alone be able to play.

   I pushed myself off the couch slowly, and hobbled to the piano. It was an upright piano, made of dark wood stained with cup rings. It was covered in bumps and scrapes, as if Joe and Dylan didn't take care of it very well. That didn't bother me, though; it gave the piano character.

   It felt good to be in front of the piano again, it reminded me of home. My mother had been the one to teach me how to play, and she and I had spent hours playing. The piano was the only instrument that I could actually play; other than soccer and piano, my talents were limited. Even for traditional dancing back at Taranaki, I was always placed at the back.

   My hands glided over the keys, playing the introduction to my favourite song on the piano. It was a little cringey but I had always been a Twilight fan and when I heard Bella's lullaby for the first time, I became obsessed. It was my go-to song, and as soon as I played that first note I fell in love all over again.

   Someone coughed in the background at the end of the song, causing me to swivel on the chair to face them.

   "That's, uh, that was pretty good. You're very talented." His hair was curly but cut short, and his dark shirt contrasted against his pale skin.

   "Thanks. Dylan, I'm assuming?"

   "That's me. You're Joe's friend?"

   "Maia. It's nice to meet you." I smiled.

   "Ditto. Um, just so you know, Joe takes ages in the shower. If you want, I could give you a lift home. It'd be better than waiting an hour for Joe."

   I was touched by Dylan's offer. So far, everyone I had met had been extremely nice and accommodating. Was this a trait of all Americans, or were the Starkids just good people?

   "That would be amazing, thank you so much."

   Dylan helped gather my things and also managed to keep me calm in the lift, although I still left the space out of breath.

   The car ride back was short, with Dylan and I enjoying the music playing through the car speakers. Dylan was ... nice. He certainly had the type of personality I would look for in a guy. If I had been actively searching for a boyfriend, or girlfriend for that matter, Dylan would have fit the criteria.

[ugh I love Dylan and Joe so much they're so beautiful]