Chapter Five

First Meeting

   Out of the three soccer team's Lauren had suggested, and two that I had found, only one was willing to organise an interview with me. The others said that they would rather a player who could start straight away, not one who would have to wait a few more months before playing. This team was the Michigan Wolverine's, Michigan University's women's soccer team.

   Lauren had dressed me again, saying that my fashion taste was limited to active wear, and I needed to "broaden your horizons". She had even allowed me to borrow a dress from her, pairing it with Doc Martins (a staple pair of boots) and a leather jacket.

   "The dress is classy but the jacket and boots dress it down, allowing the outfit to still be casual."

   That's what Lauren had said, at least. I had no clue what she was talking about but she was ten times more fashion savvy than me, which gave her the ability to choose what clothes I do and don't wear.

...

   "Mr Williams, I just wanted to say thank you so much for this privilege. I understand that even the prospect of allowing an injured person to join your team is massive and doesn't seem quite right."

   The chair I was sitting on was both comfortable and uncomfortable at the same time. It was padded with quite a soft cushion, but the arch of the chair dug into my back, bending my spine into a shape that wasn't natural.

   "No, no, it's my privilege," he smiled, his Southern twang resounding in my ears. "I watched your tapes. Very impressive, very impressive indeed." With a sudden intensity, I realised he reminded me of the football coach from The Blind Side. Interesting. "I would be very interested in you being in my team but unfortunately, until I see some action in front of me, I cannot allow it. I hope you understand."

   I nodded in response. I was naïvely hoping that he would give me a spot on the team, allow my leg to heal, train me again and then let me play, but the reality was that that was not how the world worked. There was my dream, floating away on a cloud in the wind. Goodbye possible future, it was fun while it lasted.

   "However, I would like to suggest a physiotherapist. She's one of the best I've ever encountered, and she could help you out a lot. We could get that cast off your leg, get a boot on you, set up a rigorous physio schedule, and get you playing for the Wolverine's within four months. Less, even, if you put in enough effort. I want you on my team, Pikari. You've got talent and the Wolverine's need it."

   "Oh, wow, thank you so much, sir. This is an honour."

   He then proceeded to give me the phone number and name of the physiotherapist he wanted me to go to, before showing me the way out.

   Lauren was waiting outside, headphones plugged into her ears and leaning against the hood of her car. She pulled the buds out when she saw me, immediately smiling. "Hey, how'd it go?"

   "Really well. I've got a physio I have to go to and once I've got a boot, I get another meeting. And then a few months after that I get to play, hopefully."

   "Maia! That's so exciting! Wow, I'm so proud of you. This is amazing. We have to celebrate!"

   And so, Lauren, Jaime and I enjoyed a night eating ice cream and watching the first season of Glee.

[short, filler, but necessary for the progression of the story]

[i won't be updating for a week as i'm going away with no internet]