Chapter Seven

Physiotherapy

   The boot had been the best thing to happen to me, if I was completely honest. I was no longer feeling like a cripple; although, the boot still made life harder than it usually was.

   Lauren had dropped me off at physio and said that she would come to pick me up after. Vanessa had said that I would no doubt be in a lot of pain after my first appointment and likely every other appointment following. I wasn't looking forward to it.

   The session was gruelling. It felt like knives were being stabbed into my leg, non-stop. The exercises Vanessa made me do were painful and the only thing that kept me going was the fact that if I continued with physio, and I never missed an appointment, I could get back into soccer.

   Vanessa didn't start me off with any exercises initially but I managed to convince her that I could handle it. The session started off with a heat pack and a massage, followed by stretches and more massages. It sounded nice and relaxing but in actuality it was quite unpleasant.

   The appointment ended with an icing for ten minutes and some machine that was meant to reduce any swelling. As this happened I texted Lauren letting her know that I was done. I waited for a reply but didn't get one, even after I had finished with physio and sitting outside.

   At this point I was incredibly annoyed and utterly miserable. I had no way of getting home and I didn't even have any money as I had accidentally left my wallet at home. All I had was my phone and hoodie.

   I called Lauren two more times before giving up on her. The only person who I know would be able to pick me up and wouldn't be busy on a Saturday morning was Joey.

   I dialled his number in my phone, hesitating for a second. Joey and I had gone out for coffee that one time and texted each other most days (and, admittedly, very late nights around 1 am) but would he actually pick me up? We had only actually met up twice. I hit the call button anyway, mostly because I just wanted to head home. I was tired and sore, and I desperately wanted to shower.

   "Hello," Joey's voice sounded tinny through the phone's speakers.

   "Hey Joey. Uh, this is kinda awkward but Lauren was going to pick me up after physio but she isn't here and she's not answering her phone. Reckon you could instead? It's just that I remember you said that most Saturday mornings you're free." I twisted my fingers in the hem of my shirt, wishing for him to say yes.

   "Yeah, of course. Definitely. Text me the address and I'll come get you."

   "Oh my god, thank you so much. Brilliant. You're amazing."

   Joey laughed before saying goodbye. I quickly texted him the address and sat down on the steps, waiting for Joey to arrive.

   I only had to wait a few minutes before Joey's car pulled up into the driveway.

   "Hey there, cripple."

   "Hey there, crooked jaw." I stuck my tongue at him, pushing myself up in the process. "Thanks for picking me up, I really appreciate it."

   "Not a problem. I'm happy to help." He smiled widely, showing me to his car. "Now, I would like to ask you out to coffee but I'm hanging out with Darren today since he's in town for the first time in a while."

   "That's cool. I didn't expect you to hang out anyway, this wasn't exactly planned."

   The drive home was quick and uneventful. Joey dropped me and carried my bag to the front door.

   "See you later, cripple."

   "Bye, crooked jaw." I poked my tongue out at Joey before going inside and heading straight for the shower.

[very short chapter, sorry. i'm on holidays at the moment and realised that i hadn't updated this in a long time. wifi isn't always available so sorry that this is so late]

[sri lanka is bloody amazing by the way, you guys should definitely come over here]