Chapter 15

(Erik's point of view)

The door to her room closes softly, and I stare at the components of my house.

'Our house.'

'Your house.'

'It can be ours.'

'It's already ours. Just you and me.'

'No, I want to share it with her.'

'But you saw her reaction when you told her. What's to stop her from reacting like that again?'

I head to my room. 'She said she likes me too.'

'But how do you know that she's not saying that just to say that?'

'She is an honest girl. I know she is.'

'You're in over your head.'

'I realise that. Thank you.' I look across my room, at my organ, and at my sleeping arrangements.

'Remember those past memories you don't want to remember? I found them.'

'No. Don't bring them up. We were just in an okay mood to leave one another alone.' I clench my fists.

'But why don't you want to remember your mother's ignoring attitude?'

'For exactly that reason.'

'And what about those beatings at your...show?'

'Why would I want to remember being beaten up?'

'And those people you killed back when you were working for the Sultan and the Sultana?'

I don't reply to that last one. I sit at my organ.

'Why so silent, good monsieur? Did you think that I had left you for good? Have you missed me, good monsieur?'

I growl. 'Erik doesn't need you in his life. He wishes to be left alone, to his own devices.'

'Oh, Erik, Erik, Erik. You know that I shall never leave you alone. Go ahead now. Play your music.'

'Erik shall. It'll help Erik's mood. It's his only medicine that'll work to get rid of you.'

]~[

Knocking arrives at the door. "Phantom? Are you alright?" her voice rings out into the air.

I go over, and open the door ajar. "Erik is fine." I reply.

Her eyes gain weight, emotionally. "Is he sure?" she goes along with the narrative. Such a good girl.

"Of course he is. He just wishes for a little alone time." I start to close the door, but the door doesn't close. I look down at the floor and see her foot jammed in between. I look back up at her. "What are you doing?"

"I beg to differ." Her eyes look so innocent. "I think you need someone. Just for a few minutes."

"How so?"

"Will you play a little music for me? I'm not picky."

"Erik will remember that." I think for a moment. "Fine. I'll play something for you."

I let her in, and she looks up to me for an answer. I show her to a chair, and I sit at my organ. "Anything in particular?"

"No. I'm fine with whatever you feel like playing."

I turn back to my organ, nodding, and noting that her statement did not help. I let my hands do the work, playing whatever mood they feel like they're in.

]~[

I finish playing, after about an hour, and I turn to see young Megan not in her chair, but still staring at the keys, eyes wide. She looks at me, then back at the organ several times.

"Is something the matter?"

"People who play the piano always have amazed me with their hands."

"Oh? How so?"

"Well, play a small something real quick." She sits down next to me on the small bench. I stare at her for another second, and then play a small something. I look back at her. "The reason why I'm so amazed by pianists is because of their hands." She looks up at me. "Your hands are just so...weird. Like pale spiders, or something." I continue to look at her. "Are you alright?"

"Pale spiders?"

"Have you looked at your hands whenever you play?"

"I have not."

"Then the next time you play, definitely take a peek." She smiles slightly at me, and then walks out of the room.

I continue to sit at the organ. I hear her door close, and I get up. I head over to her room, and peek in to check on her. She's already asleep on her bed, wrapped up in a few blankets, her head near the end of the bed. I smile and laugh quietly. Letting my feet take the lead, I get over to where her head rests, and play with a few strands of her hair. She unconsciously pushes my hand away and turns the other way. I place a pillow under her head, and then leave her to rest.

'A show should be coming up soon. I should take her to it. I doubt she's seen an opera before. She'd be impressed with my actors and actresses. But La Carlotta may be in it; she's always in our operas, and Fille Megan doesn't like her either. Hmm.' I end up back in my room. 'Still, it wouldn't hurt her to see one, right?'

________________

A shorter chapter, but looks inside Erik's mind, no?

Smiley faces to those who recognized another line, but this time, from the musical (or movie if you haven't seen/heard the musical).

But smiley faces to anyone who drops by! ^_^