Chapter 12

I step out onto the rooftop once more. I set my phone on the statue that's up here, and the screen shows the charging screen again. I walk around, and watch the streets of Paris pass by. The wind blows, and I pull my jacket towards me, making it tighter, to hopefully gain some more warmth.

"Are you feeling alright?" he asks, and comes up beside me.

"Yeah. I just like wandering around sometimes. Are you alright though? When I came back in, it seemed like you were trying to fight something."

"I am. Do not worry about it." He rubs my back.

'It's November of eighteen-eighty. A few months before he supposedly takes a liking into Christine, although in the book, he was always there for her. Like since her childhood.'

"Want to accompany with me to wander around the house?"

That snaps me out of my thoughts. "Wouldn't people notice us though?"

"You're a normal girl, so you can go around freely, mostly. I, however, will have to hide in the shadows. I was just thinking..."

"Of?"

"Playing a small trick on the performers down below."

"Like what?"

He grins. "Follow me."

I grab my phone and follow after the Phantom. We go down to the catwalk, and see the scene-shifters are scrambling around, and hear a rehearsal is going on. We sneak around and see people just going about their practice business in their normal clothes.

"They're practicing their lines and their choreography." The Phantom whispers. "Go over to Box five, and watch what I'm going to do. I shall join you back in the house."

He runs off, back to the catwalk, and I go over to Box five. No one notices us. As the rehearsal goes on, a few props fall over, and the ballet girls scream. People scramble all over to see what might have caused the props to fall over, but they don't get an answer.

Someone screams, "It's him! The Phantom of the Opera!" 'Probably Meg Giry.'

Something taps my shoulder, and we go down to the house. As we enter the junction hallway, the Phantom laughs.

"Oh, that felt great." He continues to giggle to himself. "What did you think?"

"Harmless, really. Although, I don't blame them for jumping a little..."

"Why do you say that?"

"I jump at things all the time."

"Like if I were to do something like this?"

I turn to see him, but he isn't standing behind me. I turn back to the door, and he's there, posing with his arms out, fingers shaped like claws. I flinch greatly. I laugh afterwards.

"Yes, something like that." I answer his question.

He smiles and we carry on back through the house. "Megan, I've got something else for you to clean."

I suddenly remember the dishes. "The dishes?"

"Well, that and my room." I stop. "What is it?"

"I'm sorry, but your room? I'm being allowed into your room?"

"Yes. Why is it striking to you as odd?"

"Well, because, it's your room."

"So?"

"Nobody messes with the Phantom's stuff." I say.

"I'm allowing it." He tilts his head to one side. "I just need some stuff dusted off, and then the floor swept. Think you're up to that?"