Chapter 8

On the way up, he shows me his box, Box Five. It looked cozy and had a great view of the Opera stage, which I complimented on, hoping to please him. His whole body radiated pride. We then carried up onto the roof.

We get to the roof, and there's more noise. It startles me, because all I've had for almost a week is complete silence, and then a little noise when it was necessary.

I almost fall, but the Phantom catches, and chuckles.

"It's alright; it's only the gay mood of Paris." He helps me back to my feet.

"Thanks." I blush. 'My favorite character is helping me. This is so weird.' I go over to the rail to see the streets below.

Horses with stagecoaches attached, or with their riders buzz by the people walking. Many of the people walking are either carrying umbrellas or not, which are being used to protect themselves from the sun, and to show off their wealth. The gentlemen help the ladies out of the stagecoaches, depending on their stop. Young boys run up to the adults to try to sell them the newspaper, or whatever product they have in their hands.

All sorts of life buzzes by, with a lot of noise.

The sun is getting close to start setting, and like the Phantom said, getting close to the evening hours. Birds fly by, along with annoying bugs, and even a few ladybugs. A small, gentle breeze of the wind blows, and big, fluffy clouds roll by lazily. The sky is blue with a small portion being layered with orange.

"Do you think it'll rain in a few days?" I ask.

"Why do you ask?"

"The clouds, for starters. Also, what do we do whenever it rains?"

"Go on with life as usual...?"

"There's no risk of flooding or leak issues?"

"Not that I've noticed."

"Oh." I blink a couple of times. "Why have you brought me here?"

He approaches and leans on the rail. "I brought you here so you can have a break. You work very hard, and you are getting rewarded."

"I'm getting rewarded with every minute I get to live." I say absentmindedly.

"What?" he looks at me confused.

"When you were explaining my duties, they way I understood the consequences and such as I get to live each day by doing all that you ask me of."

"You do."

"And that little sentence is a little fragment of the understanding."

"I see." He goes back to gazing at the streets , whereas I continue to look at him, his mask facing me. "I also brought you here to talk with you, like a...c...ca-"

"Like a casual conversation?" I suggest the end of the sentence.

"Yes, that."

A few minutes pass by before I get a small message.

"But you don't know how to attempt at one?"

"Not that I'm aware of." He sighs. "I mean, I talk to you about how it's going, how you're feeling..."

"But it doesn't feel like it's enough?" 'This is totally weird. I thought he'd more psychotic. He's really just a lost romantic. I'm sorry Erik.'

"Exactly. How do I hold small conversations?" he looks at me, with a plea in his eyes.

"Well, like this conversation, you started with a gesture, and then followed it with a question...eventually. Really, you ask any question, and you get a small conversation." I give a small laugh. "And then the best part is when you branch off on the numerous tangents."