Chapter 1

Whistling a merry tune, twenty-three-year-old business man Jesse Miller loosened his tie as he stepped out of the elevator and pulled his apartment keys out of his jeans pocket. Unlocking the door, he pulled the keys out and turned around, pushing the door open with his back. Jesse put his briefcase on the small table by the door and unlocked the handcuff holding it to him. There was vital information in that briefcase that he could not afford to lose.

Heading toward the kitchen, Jesse unbuttoned his cufflinks and threw them onto the couch, along with his tie. He waltzed into his designer kitchen and immediately opened the cupboards, when a voice made him jump and drop the cereal box.

"Nice place you got here." Jesse turned around and backed away from the teenage girl sitting with her feet up on his marble counter. She was flicking through a yellow folder with Classified stamped in big red letters across the front.

"Who the hell are you?" He asked. The girl ignored him.

"Superintendent of GoPlus Enterprises, wanted for hacking into the CEO's private files and threatening him with exposure. Funny what people do for power these days." The girl shut the file and put it on the counter. Jesse watched her warily, and gulped when she reached behind her and pulled out a gun, laying that on the counter as well, the nozzle facing his direction. "I have to say though, hacking the CEO of GoPlus Enterprises?" She whistled, examining her nails as though this were an everyday occurrence. "However, the boss isn't happy with being blackmailed." Jesse gulped.

"What do you w-want?" He stuttered, eyes trained on the gun currently aimed at his chest. The girl sighed and got up, her hand curling around the handle and dragging it torturously slowly across the marble top.

"It's not what I want, buddy." The girl chuckled, a deep quiet chuckle that sent shivers up Jesse's spine. Then he knew. "I see you've realized what I'm here for." The girl raised the gun, a slight smirk playing on her lips.

Jesse tensed, and his eyes betrayed his plan as they flicked towards the door leading to the lounge. She laughed as he suddenly ducked and ran towards the lounge. Picking up the folder from the counter, the girl pulled out a lighter, and set fire to it, leaving it on the counter to burn. She'd already raided his office and found the papers that Brad Gurdlinger, the CEO of GoPlus Enterprises, needed. Waltzing into the lounge, the girl saw Jesse had already tried the door, but with no door handle, he had bolted for the one place she knew he would go.

The roof.

Jesse had shut the door behind him, but the girl kicked it open with ease, jogging up the stairs and trying the doorknob to the door that led to the private roof. Jesse had bolted it from the outside. Sighing, she stepped back and fired the gun at the lock one, two, three times. Putting all her strength into one kick, the door groaned, and a fourth bullet caused the bolt to fall to the ground.

The bright sun blinded her as she stepped into the light, gun at the ready as she scoured the rooftop for her target. She had chosen this place because it was fourteen stories high, and there was a considerable distance between the surrounding buildings, preventing any escape.

Where is he?

Suddenly a brute force landed on top of her, causing her to smack face-first into the concrete, and the gun slid away as Jesse tried to pin her. Amateur. She twisted around and punched the man in the stomach, using his hesitation against him as she rolled them over. Jumping off him, she crawled towards the gun, but he grabbed her ankle and dragged her back.

Again the girl twisted to face Jesse, and used her free foot to kick Jesse's solar plexus, winding him. As he fell back she got up and ran towards her gun. Picking it up and turning to face Jesse, she cocked it and advanced as he tried to stand, hand to his chest as he wheezed. Putting a hand to her lip, the girl wiped away the blood, not even wincing from her split lip. Examining the blood, the girl nodded in approval.