Chapter 16

The small group of demons had finally made it to where John was keeping Dave and Dirk. The plan was simple. Get in, kick John's ass, get the hell out of there.

Karkat was the first to enter. He gave himself the title of 'leader', while the others were his followers. Then Kankri went in next, followed by the others in the group. Once all were inside, they moved quickly and quietly.

They had been walking for some time before coming to two different paths. They decided to separate, so one group could find John, while the others looked for the Strider brothers.

Karkat wanted to go alone, but Kankri was never going to allow it. So the two went together.

So now they walked, hoping that they would find the Striders quickly.

Meanwhile, Dirk wasn't doing so well. Jake had let the two go, but his head was really fucking him up, and he couldn't really control what he did. But he was managing somehow. Jake had given him his shades back, so he was able to easily hide his eyes which were glowing a bright orange. If you looked close enough, you'd be able to see it.

Jake walked along side Dirk, occasionally glancing over at him. Just to make sure he was doing alright. He had thought he noticed his eyes glowing, but couldn't tell very clearly.

That was, until they had stopped.

Everything seemed to be going fine, but Dirk collapsed on the ground.

"Dirk!" Jake immediately ran over to the blondes side, kneeling beside him. He started shaking Dirk to wake him up, while repeating his name.

"Jake, lower your voice..! John could be anywhere," the younger Strider said, looking around the hallway where they stood.

"Sorry, chap, just- panicking..!" He said, continuing to shake Dirk. He was determined to wake him up.

It happened in an instant. Dirk woke up. His nails, sharp and claw-like, had impaled Jake right in the heart. Jake's eyes went wide as he looked down at the claws. Once removed, he collapsed. Right next to Dirk.

Dirk stared at him, emotionless. He wasn't the same. This wasn't the same Dirk they had known moments ago. He was a monster.

He stood up, glancing over at his younger brother. In a moment of panic, Dave started running. Dirk followed.

Jake watched them. He attempted to stand up, but couldn't. He reached out, trying to stop them from running away. But he couldn't.

"Th- this is the end.." He mumbled quietly, eyes starting close. "I love you, Dirk.. Too bad I didn't get to tell you e- earlier..."

With those final words, he took his last breath. Jake was dead.

John looked at Jake, just as emotionless as Dirk was when he killed the brunette.

"Surprised he lived that long," he shrugged, kicking his lifeless corpse aside. "Well, better go check on my puppet. Then I'll deal with my other guests.."

Karkat stopped. He looked around. "Karkat? What is i-"

"Shh," he shushed his brother. "I hear running.."

The boys looked around, before noticing the Striders running. Dirk chasing Dave. They immediately ran after them.

Dave ran into a room, locking the door behind him. That should give me enough time to find something to protect myself with he thought.

He looked around for something - anything that could help him. That's when he saw it. His katana. He walked over to the blade, picking it up and staring at it.