0.37 - Gone

Depuis le début

I frowned and turned my body to face her more as I swallowed the food in my mouth. "Why? I don't have therapy today."

"It's for.. other reasons." She turned around and looked at her watch. "I expect you to be in my office by the time lunch ends." She tossed a smile over her shoulder and eyes our table before walking away.

Michael and the twins grew quiet but Loraine continued to munch of her muffins happily. I looked to the three of them before munching on my own food. "What was that about?" George mumbled, looking over his shoulder to the doors. I did the same, only see Dr.Francis was still standing there and now talking to those mysterious men in white.

"No clue. But not gonna lie, I'm kinda dreading it."

-

Before lunch could end I made my way to her office. It was a longer walk than usual and I suppose that was because I had absolutely no idea what was going to happen.

Two man stood at the door and when they saw me, one peeked up and walked in the office. A few words were exchanged quietly before he opened the door for me.

"Right this way Miss.Maxwell." He grunted, letting me slide past him and inside the room.

The door was shut behind me and I was left alone with Dr.Francis.

"So what am I-"

"You're leaving."

"What?"

My shock must have been clear on my face and she motioned for me to sit. "I've decided to let you go. You've made all the progress I need and I think you're healthy enough to leave." She smiled at me and I realized how much I was in that one moment.

No one ever leaves here. "Seriously?" I said, smiling brightly. "I get to go home? Today?"

She smiled and nodded. "You'll leave in approximately and hour and a half. Just enough time for you to fill out the documents and say good bye to your friends."

She handed over some files and paperwork to which I grabbed a random pen off her desk and began to write and fill out all the required fields. I don't know why I was just jumping to this opportunity. I really don't. I mean wasn't I saying just a few days ago that I was starting to like it here? That I didn't want to go home?

But then I saw something in the window that made me stop writing.

Sitting on the windowsill was a little white cat staring at me with bright green eyes.

Cordelia.

I handed Dr.Francis the completed documents and she told me I had a few hours to tell me friends and say goodbye.

I think seeing Cordelia was the moment when I realized why I wanted to go home. Because of hope.

Hope that things would go back to normal and things would be fine between my friends and my family.

Hope that Thomas finally reached back to me.

Without a second thought I rushed out of the office and to the front doors. The lady at the desk didn't really question where I was going because I never left. Cordelia was already sitting at the door waiting to be let in.

So I opened the door and let her in. I mean who wouldn't?

"Ma'am what are you doing?" She asked me from behind her desk.

"Oh, um, nothing. Sorry." I smiled apologetically and walked to the teen section. Cordelia was so small and quiet that the lady didn't notice her. And if she did then she didn't say anything about it.

I headed into the teen section and looked around nervously. There were fewer people in here than before, but the people who were in here gasped when they saw my cat. I suppose animals weren't exactly allowed in here.

I sat down and Cordelia jumped up into my lap and looked up at me expectingly.

And then I noticed it.

I reached towards her neck and my hands began to shake as I pulled the little letting out for her collar. My fingers trembled and she finally relaxed and closed her eyes when I got the message.

I tore my glance back to the note and slowly opened it, tears welling in my eyes when I read over the words.

Dear Lillian,

I know I haven't been visiting as much but things have been hard for me at home. I'm trying. I really am. I got your message and this is not only the stupidest but cutest thing I've ever seen. Give Delly a hug for me, yeah? She misses you a lot.

I'm sorry they sent you to the hospital. I know you're not crazy. Hell, if you were crazy you wouldn't be reading this message in the broad day light. You deserve nothing but to be in my arms and back home.

I promise the minute you get home I'll try and reach you. I'll come knocking and maybe even meet your parents and your friends this time.

Don't forget about me Lillian.

Because I have not yet forgotten about you.

With all my love,
your Thomas.

-

So that was an important part of this story. Please realize what I'm trying to do and get across. I know Thomas hasn't been around as much, and there will be more chapters where he isn't in the story. But this story on its own is such a mess and something I need to go back into. There are bits and pieces I left out, and parts I want to take away, but I also want to finish strong.

And believe me when I say you're not ready for the ending.

Lots of love,

Mercay