Chapter 75 - Funeral for a General

Start from the beginning

Luke moved his hand to Ben's head and brought him out of the sedation quickly. He was not as gentle as he could have been, but he did not want Ben to mistake Luke as an ally. Ben struggled and screamed as he opened his eyes.

Luke let him work him through it, as Ben released his restraints with the Force and sat up. "Why did you do that?" asked Ben angrily.

"Because I can't trust you. You will answer for your crimes, Ben. I made a mistake to trust you years ago. I will never trust you again," stated Luke. Ben stared back at his uncle in anger and then in resignation.

"I need you now. As long as you cooperate, I will allow you to be present at your mother's funeral. The least sign of interference, and I will kill you. Is that understood?" stated Luke firmly sending a chill through the Force to Ben.

"Yes, Uncle Luke," agreed Ben with tears in his eyes as he saw the still form of his mother, knowing that his actions had caused that.

____________________________________

Luke led Ben out to the field where Finn's men were quickly cutting down the trees. Luke waved his hand toward the logs and brought them over to his planned location. "Do you remember how to build a pyre?" asked Luke. Ben shook his head negatively, as Luke suspected. Ben hardly paid any attention to the lessons he found boring. "Then you bring the logs over and watch me as I start the base. When you get to a corner, wait for me to show you the next step." Ben stood there watching his uncle lay his logs down. "Get moving," Luke urged as Grand Admiral Ackbar and two security officers headed down the slope from the headquarters caves.

"Master Skywalker," he greeted.

"Admiral," nodded Luke as he continued his work.

Luke turned as the security officers took Ben into custody. "No, Admiral, I will control him. Your men can't anyway. He will stand trial, but I need him here right now."

"Very well. I must object to this funeral. General Organa deserves more. The galaxy feels her loss," objected the admiral.

"She's my sister. She had Jedi training earlier in her life. She deserves a Jedi funeral. And it is vital for the Resistance that we send her spirit off as soon as possible," explained Luke.

"I don't understand," indicated the official.

"You don't have to. Just get out of my way, Admiral," Luke looked at him with hard eyes. Luke could feel the frustration building in him again, about to overwhelm him. He felt like sending the admiral against the nearest tree, even though he was a good friend.

Anakin appeared before Luke, "Son, no. Don't let your grief make you do something you will regret. Remember the goal. Rey needs her. She needs her now, if we're going to save her."

Luke turned back to his work. Ben looked toward his grandfather, hoping for a word with him, but not daring to even speak. Anakin disappeared before he spoke another word.

____________________________________

By nightfall the snow was lightly falling. The entire Resistance had assembled around the pyre as Luke spoke, "Princess Leia Organa, Senator of Alderaan, Leader of the Resistance, General, Beloved Wife of Han Solo, Beloved Mother of Ben and Rey Solo." A few gasps were heard in the audience. A few had known Rey from her brief stay, but none had known her connection to Leia. Luke looked around as he continued, noticing the Force-ghosts of Anakin, Naluma, Obi-Wan, and Yoda gathered around. "Daughter of Queen Padmé Naberrie Amidala of Naboo and Jedi Master Anakin Skywalker of Tatooine. Reared in loving care by her adoptive parents, Queen Breha Organa of Alderaan and Viceroy Bail Organa, Senator of Alderaan and Leader of the Alliance to Restore the Republic. She held many titles, many positions, many hearts. As my twin, I knew her better than any. I miss her deeply, but I know that through this ceremony her spirit will live on, continuing to serve the Force and bring order to the galaxy," Luke solemnly spoke.

Luke stepped forward with a burning torch and lit the pyre the white-draped body of his sister lay upon. The logs caught fire immediately, as the Force aided the combustion. All hung their heads low, mourning this small woman who had done so much for each and every one of them, even giving her life for her daughter.

Luke and Ben raised their heads first as the felt her spirit move through the Force. Luke could see it rise into the few stars that peeked through the clouds above. The snow had stopped, and the wind had picked up, causing the flames of the pyre to move violently south, but also moving the clouds out of position. Luke nodded with a smile of relief and anticipation

Ben reached out his hand toward the spirit and cried, "Mother, forgive me! Please! I love you!"

Luke felt Leia's response of love and warmth sent back to Ben. Anakin and Naluma had promised Luke they would train Leia in apparition and Force-barriers, but it would take time. Luke watched as the Force-ghosts disappeared, racing to find Leia in the darkness beyond.