VA's

*Italicized is the other person on the phone*

=====

Week Later
Our Apartment

"I don't know but she's been off since the nightmare." Steve whispers into his phone as he looks at me on the couch staring at the blank tv screen while petting Dean.

"All people are like that when they have a really bad nightmare." Payton informs from the other end of the line.

"But it was a week ago." He reminds as he goes back to preparing breakfast. "And she's been having them every night... I've even had to start staying with her till I know she's fine but it hasn't." He sighs and runs a hand through his golden hair. "I'm really worried about her, Payton."

"I know, honey." She sighs through the phone. "You always said how her and Bucky used to take care of you now you have to take care of her."

"I am!" He quietly exclaims as he scrambles the eggs in the skillet. "It's not helping."

"Do you know what the nightmares are about?"

"Every time I try she ignores me or starts crying." He explains. "And she never cries."

"Maybe it has to do with her PTSD." She offers. "They might be about what happened to Bucky, what happened during the war, you going under, her years in the Tesseract dimension."

"Should I call her VA?"

"Wouldn't hurt." She shrugs even though he can't see it.

"Get off the phone with lover boy! I need you to run some tests!" Another voice says in the background.

"Was that Tony?" Steve's deep chuckle runs through the phone.

"Sure as hell wasn't Clint or Madi." Payton sighs. He can imagine her running her hand through her hair in annoyance which brings a small smile to his face. "I gotta go."

"I heard." He smiles. "I'll text ya."

"Please." She begs. "Call her VA and I hope I can come down there soon."

"Me too." The two go silent, just trying to catch any more time together even if it's on the phone.

"Payton! Get off the damn phone!" Tony's voice cuts in again.

"Ok, I really have to go now." Payton sighs. "Cya."

"Bye, sweetheart." He hangs up and transfers the eggs to two plates. "Grace! Breakfast is done!" He calls.

Laterish

"Um, I'm going on a milk run." Steve informs as he puts on his blue bomber jacket. "Do you need anything?" He offers.

"Can you get Dean a bone, please?" I quietly request, looking over the back of the couch to tell him.

"Sure!" He nods. "How 'bout for you?"

"I'm good." I look back at the tv. "Thanks, though."

"Yep." He sighs, grabbing the keys to his motorcycle and heading out the door.

VA's Office

"... these things aren't your fault." Sam says as Steve leans against the door frame of the little room where the meeting is being held. "You all are still recovering, even if you don't think you are." He looks around at everyone. "It takes time to get over what you did. If you are or are not proud of it.

"It's how life works." He shrugs. "There's just stuff in your life that you can't control that you want to. You just have to keep on keepin' on. Do what you gotta do to cope...as long as it's safe and legal." He jokes, a few laugh while Steve just smiles. "Class dismissed." He sarcastically commands, everyone stands up.

*•*•*•

"Excuse me." Steve politely calls as he walks up to the dark skinned man.

"Yes, sir?" Sam directs his attention to the tall blonde in front of him. "How can I help you?"

"My friend, Gracelyn Bar--"

"You must be Steve then." He realizes and extends a hand out to him. Steve nods and takes the hand, shaking it. "Grace talks about a little Stevie from Brooklyn but, uh," He runs his thumb across his bottom lip as he gives him a once over. "I think she was under compensating."

Steve lets out a hearthy chuckle. "She does that sometimes." He smiles.

"Yeah, yeah." Sam nods also. "If you don't mind me asking, why hasn't Grace been to the meetings in the last month or so?"

"Uh..." He clears his throat while propping his hands on his hips. "Family stuff and work issues." He sort of lies.

"That sucks, the vets really missed her sarcastic remarks."

"Who wouldn't."

"Yeah." He nods, awkward silence goes between the two men.

"Well, uh..." Steve finally speaks up. "Grace has been having nightmares for the past week and they're really taking a toll on her." He informs. "She's usually all happy and upbeat, but she... she's not herself. And I'm very concerned for her, I've never seen her like this, ever. Not even when we lost Buck."

"Well, you two didn't really have time to mourn when you lost Bucky." Sam remembers the stuff I told him.

"I... I don't really want to talk about it." He shyly admits.

"Of course, of course. I'm sorry, I crossed a line." Sam quickly apologizes. "But I can come over whenever if Grace needs me. She's one of my best friends and clients."

"Actually, if you are free now, could you come over?" He asks. "Depending on how long you stay, I could make dinner."

"Sure, I'm not busy." He shrugs. "Let me get my stuff then I'll meet you at the apartment."

"Great."