1 - The Encounter

Start from the beginning

"Do you like dried beef? I think...", you start browsing your backpack, "I think I have a pack in there. Ah! Found it."

"I don't need your dried beef nor your kindness, huma-" Again growling, even louder than before. "You're sure?", you say with a little smirk on your face. The spirit starts mumbling something, you can't understand, but it doesn't bother you at all. As you opened the package the air was filled with a delicious smell, you can see in the corners of your eyes that the spirit looks at the package, nearly drooling. "If you don't want it, then I eat it.", you say and eat a piece. "Tch, I'll never give in, it's in my pride as a spi-", it can't finish it's sentence, because you throw a piece of dried beef inside its muzzle when it was wide open.

"Here you go.", you say with a sincere smile, "Sometimes you have to put your pride aside, don't you think? If you're hungry and I offer you something to eat, just accept it." You hold the rest of the package in front of its face. "I'm full, you can have the rest, if you like." Now the spirit looks a bit embarrassed and pissed at the same time, but it accepts your offer. "Th-Thank you... Human."

"You can call me (Y/N), nice to meet you.", you smile brightly towards the spirit, "Can I ask for your name?"

"I don't have a name, stupid human, and I won't call you by your name, I'd rather call you 'little pup', because you're that naive...", it laughs quietly.

"Okay, fine with me, than I just call you 'Foxy'."

"Wait?! What?! You can't just give me a name! Human! I dare you calling me like that!"

"Oh, come on, Foxy. It's a good name, it fits you."  You say winking towards the spirit.

"Fine...", it sighs loudly a little nerved, but then smiles slightly, "Little pup..."

~~~~ Two weeks later ~~~~

"Hey, little pup, why are you hanging around here, sometimes even in the middle of the night, don't you have any friends?" You look up to face the fox spirit, it lays on the ground and you sat with your back to its side, cuddling with the spirit. One of its tails covers your legs, to warm you up a bit, the days got colder shortly. You two always sit at the same spot, on the upper floor in this room with the window attached to its roof. "Don't you like my presence, Foxy? Or why did you ask?"

"I was just wondering..."

"But you're right...", you smile sadly.

"I don't have any friends. Most of my classmates call me a creep because I talk to myself.  I'm not mad at them, they can't see the things I see..." You sigh and add: "Sometimes it was terrifying. You already know that I'm not capable of exorcising spirits, but you still are nice to me. There were spirits that took advantage of it. Scared me a lot. That happened quite often when I was a child. I'm used to it..."

Foxy looks at you with a sad and worried expression on his face. "Little pup..." You look towards your spirit friend, grin brightly and say: "Don't look at me like that. I have you, Foxy. I'm happy to have a friend like you. Since my mother is always working very hard, and is sometimes even on night shifts, as well as my father leaving us when I was small, I've felt lonely most of the time... But not anymore, I really appreciate your existence Foxy." Foxy slides you nearer to him with the tail that already lays on your legs, making it even warmer and more comfortable for you. You two enjoy to cuddle, even so Foxy would never admit that.

Sadly your togetherness get interrupted by a cracking sound out of the hall. Foxy holds his head high quickly, you can see his ears moving to locate the sound, and hear him sniff a few times. "Hide in the cupboard, little pup, there are two other humans inside. I can't identify what they're up to... Just hide until I found it out." You nod quietly and do as you are told to. While closing the cupboard door, you hear footsteps approaching the room, you let a little gap between the doors of the cupboard so you can see what's happening.