Chapter 26: The Long Walk

Comincia dall'inizio

Ethan's veins were already humming this morning, joined by Evan's as they walked together in matching strides. Brothers that would make a formidable pair one day, hell, today they certainly looked like that pair; a pair that almost mirrored the strength and dynamic that Lander and Levi had.

"What else?" Ethan asked.

"David and Billy are talking tactics. We don't think he has any more men, but we want to make sure no one in the pack get's caught up as collateral."

"Does he look bolty?"

Evan shook his head as we approached the campfire that was just glowing embers now. "No, he's not running, at least we don't think so as of now."

Levi walked over to me and hugged me tight to him before he kissed my hair. "How are you feeling Charlie girl?"

I looked into his swirling silver eyes and nodded. "Ready, you?"

"I've been ready for a long time girl," he breathed back, his voice laced with a murderous lust that made me shiver slightly.

"Hey girly," David said as he pulled me into a side hug.

"Billy?" Ethan asked before he pulled me back to him while Lander winked at me.

Billy smiled at us then nodded down to the map that he had set up on a small plastic table. "Ryder's been out all night with Remi, as you know. Good news is he's not running, but he's got men stationed out about a hundred yards from the pack house.

"We have men set up around the pack house, so he's not going anywhere without us knowing. I am estimating based on Ryder's reports about fourty-ish men, but we don't know how firm that line will be when they see us marching down and we won't know if those numbers are true until we get up close. Some may scatter, but we won't know until we get to the valley at least."

Ethan's fingers drummed against my waist as he looked at the map. "I'm not worried about the men, I'm worried about making sure the pack can get there and get there safely. He may try to hold them back, stir up a mess so this turns into a chaotic mess that would be more advantageous to them.

"Get men stationed alongside the valley. I don't want members getting caught up as collateral, and we can use them to take out anyone trying to hold the pack back. I want them in the background, don't let the other warriors know, have them hovering behind in a decent striking distance."

"Good plan," Lander added. He looked to Levi who was staring at the map while his pupils started to dilate. "We need to go get our men brother."

"They're ready," David added.

"Where's Jaxon?" I asked. "And Andrea?"

"On their way, they were rounding up a few of Jaxon's men this morning. Andrea spent most of the night guarding the evidence. He made her rest for a few hours while the vamps looked after it," Billy replied with a soft smile. I hoped that he and Jaxon would get along, for Andrea's sake; but I had a feeling they would, her happiness was all that Billy really cared about.

I smiled inwardly at his words. Maybe those two would come together after all?

"The vamps can come but they need to stick with you Levi," Ethan added.

Levi nodded. "We already told them. We'll look after them." Levi walked back to me and hugged me to him again, nuzzling my hair before he nodded to Ethan. "We'll see you two soon."

Lander nodded to us before trotting after Levi, shifting with him as they tore off towards Tikanni.

"Here you go Char," Lyanna said from next to me. She handed me a cup of coffee and rubbed her cheek against mine.