Chapter 28 - Jake's Purpose

“What’s your reason to be here?” I repeat, waiting for his answer. He can’t go and hide now, not when we’re finally getting somewhere. “Jake?”

You have to tell her, he finally answers and I roll my eyes.

“Is it part of being a soul what makes you so cryptic? Can’t you be more specific?” I inquire because ‘you have to tell her’ doesn’t give much away. Who? What? And most importantly, why?

You have to tell Cassidy that I’m in love with her, that I’ve loved her for so many years, he finally expresses and I can feel how he is annoyed, too.

“Oh,” is all I say.

I had a suspicion that it was that. I mean, he showed me all those memories of him loving her, of how he fell for her, how he realised he was in love with her. I saw Jake falling in love with Cassie and I know she doesn’t know of his feelings, that she fell for him as well but he died before anyone could confess. I knew that that was left unresolved, but I didn’t think that was his unfinished business. So many people leave without confessing their feelings, why is it different this time? It won’t change anything that he tells her, if only it will just hurt Cassie further.

“Why would I tell her?” I ask out loud. I don’t agree with his plan, that would hurt her and make it harder for her to move on. I want her to move on. We had a lovely day together, she finally told me it’s starting to feel right to be with me and Jake wants me to tell her he loved her as well, for what?

Because you’re the only one who can help me, he says and I roll my eyes. Please, I can’t leave without telling her. I’ve risked everything for this.

“Why would you do that? You’re not the first one to die before they confessed their feelings. You won’t change anything by telling her! You’ll only hurt her and make it harder for her to move on,” I spat, getting angry at Jake.

Because I promised myself that if I ever loved someone that much I would never leave without saying it. You saw that! He screams in my head and believe me, it’s not pleasant.

I remember all those memories he showed me once, when they watched Doctor Who, when he tried to understand what the Doctor felt… when he made that promise.

“Oh,” I say and something tells me that if I could see Jake now, he’d be folding his arms and looking at me with an arched eyebrow.

Okay, I kind of understand why it’s so important for him to tell her, but I still don’t think it’s right. He’ll hurt her and if I am the one who helps him, then I’ll be hurting her as well and I don’t want to do that. Seeing her unhappy is the last thing I want to behold.

I want Cassie to be happy, to let go of those feelings for Jake and to love me… I want her with me, like today. Walking together, holding her in my arms, kissing her. If I tell her what Jake wants me to tell her, then I’ll be killing my chances with her. She’ll know he’s still here somehow, that he’s here for her.

She won’t want to be with me.

“I still don't think it’s a good idea. Yeah, it’s your promise and I get it’s important, but what about her? She’s had such a hard time since you died and you want to bring more pain to her life? Why would I help you to hurt the girl I care about? You’re not here anymore but I am, and I don’t wanna see her sad,” I demand, frowning. “You’ve done enough already,” I add, remembering Cassie and I’s first date, when I took her to that playground Jake showed me, their special place, and how that made her cry. That was Jake’s fault. He ruined that date. “You… you sabotaged my date with Cassie. You are the one who showed me all those places so she would think of you!” I accuse him, getting furious for what he’s done. “How could you?!”