Chapter 22 - Ghostbusters

“Zayn,” I call later the next day when we were playing some Xbox to relax a bit.

“Hmm?” He mumbles, still focused on the game and not paying me attention. He’s kicking my butt, everyone can be sure of that, but in my defence it’s because I can’t really focus on killing zombies when I have other things in mind.

“Do you believe in supernatural things?” I ask this time and I get a sceptical look from my friend before he looks back at the telly. “I mean it.”

“And I’m trying to think of an answer,” —he says still playing— “without losing this game.”

I chuckle but I let him finish this round and when he does —and of course I long lost all my lives— he puts the controller next to him and turns to watch me, a little frown on his face. “Are you asking me that for real, Liam? Is everything okay? Are you seeing dead people now?”

I chuckle at the reference to Sixth Sense but I dismiss it quickly. In movies they always portray how hard it is to tell your friends slash family that something may be out of ordinary. They don’t exaggerate. You really can’t find the words and you are scared they may think you’re crazy. But in all honesty, how do you say something supernatural may be happening to you without someone wanting to call a mental institution or thinking you are a Supernatural fan? And I mean the TV show. It’s epic, okay? When Cassie made me watch Doctor Who, she also introduced me to Sherlock and Supernatural. She told me that Superwholock was the best —that’s the three fandoms combined, in case you didn’t know.

But this is nothing like Supernatural. There are no Winchester brothers here, no demons —I hope so— or angels. I don’t even know what’s here.

“No. At least no one has told me they are dead,” I add and that makes him laugh because he knows I’m not serious about that. “But… ugh, how do I explain this?” I ask to myself, looking down and pinching the bridge of my nose. “Promise me you won’t put me in a madhouse or anything, okay?”

“Saying that doesn’t play in your favour, Liam. Are you conscious of that? Should I get worried?”

“No. Yes. Ugh, I dunno. Let me organise all the shit in my head so I can explain it you.” He doesn’t say anything and raises his hands in surrender so I take a deep breath before I start this. “Well, you know about Jake already and that he was Cassie’s best friend and everything. And about the dreams, as well.”

“And we said it was because she told you those stories,” Zayn comes in and I nod.

“Yeah, but I’m starting to think there’s something more.” At those words Zayn arches one eyebrow. “Okay so I met with her yesterday and I told her I fancy her and I kissed her.”

“You kissed her? That’s my boy! I’m proud of you, mate. Well done!” He congratulates me, patting my back and I can’t stop smiling at the memory of the kiss. “Aw, look at you. You are disgusting.”

I burst out laughing, I can’t help it and I’m glad he’s making me laugh. It lightens up the mood a tiny bit. “Anyways, besides that, which was great, mind you, she told me she still has feelings for Jake, and she didn't want to use me to forget about him.”

“I like her better for that,” Zayn said. “A woman of honour.”

I smile again at the way he phrases that. “Yeah, well I don’t mind if she wants to use me as long as she gives me a chance, but still, that’s not the point. The thing is that she showed me a picture of her and that boy, Jake.” Zayn tilts his head and looks at me inviting me to go on. “And the thing is, that guy from the picture is exactly the way I’ve dreamt. Exactly the same, Zayn. But I never saw him before until she showed me that picture. How’s that even possible?”