Violence Is The Answer

Start from the beginning

Interrupting my thoughts, George started yelling and pounding on the door. "Let me in! Let me in now!" I looked at Johnny quickly, then ran to the door. I could hear Darry and Soda getting up from the table in the kitchen. I opened the door and George ran in, breathing heavily. "Who are they?" He managed to get out. 

I looked back out the door, to see three or four hollering, obviously drunk socs throwing beer bottles towards us. One was coming towards the door. I slamed it shut and listened as the bottle hit the door and shattered into tiny pieces. "What are they doing on this side of town?" Soda asked quickly. 

No one spoke for a moment as more shattering bottles hit the door and the walls surrounding it. We could hear them yelling something , but I couldn't make out what it was exactly. I rushed over to the window and peered out. I couldn't really get a good look at they until one stepped into the light. "Those aren't socs." I said with fear pinging in my voice. 

"Who is it then?" Darry asked. 

"It's Mason and some of his gang." 

I then realized what they were saying. They were calling my name. I backed away from the window. "What are they doing here?" Soda asked. 

No one answered once again. "He's mad at me." I said quietly. I think only Johnny heard me. 

"What?" Soda asked with panic beginning to show in his voice. 

"I said there hear because Masons mad at me for leaving him for Johnny."

The room fell silent. A large shatter made us all jump the window behind me cracked, from the impact of the bottle. "Damn fool broke the window!" Darry said firmly. 

I bit my lip and thought, but I wasn't thinking straight. "I'll talk to them." I blurted, and before anyone could stop me, or before I could realized how much of a bad idea it was, I was out the door, and shut it behind me. 

They saw me even before I could focus on them. They all changed their tones of yelling when they saw me come out. The other four guys Mason was with quieted down, while Mason began to speak. "Hey-a Sophie.." He slurred, having a hard time speaking while he was this drunk. "Fancy seeing you here." He took another gulp on one of the bottles he was holding.

"Drunk on a Tuesday night, those are healthy drinking habits if I ever saw them." I laid the sarcasm on thick so they would get the message even while boozed up. I heard the door open behind me. I turned around quickly and saw Johnny and Darry coming out. "No," I hissed. "I don't want a rumble, you guys come out here, that's what it'll turn into." 

Darry sighed and I could tell he knew I was right. "She's right Dar'," Soda came up behind him. "There so drunk, if there's a rumble, they'll pull blades on us."

He clenched his jaw. "If things get outta hand, I'm coming straight out, and if there's a rumble, there's a rumble."

I nodded quickly. Johnny gave me a look obviously saying he wasn't going inside without a fight. "Go Johnny, please." 

He looked at me debating to himself, then glanced at the dead drunk greasers in the front yard. He looked at me again, then walked inside. When I heard the door shut, I looked back at them. "Just go home Mason." I called from the safety of the porch. 

"You left me," He hiccuped. "For a low ranked, greasy street rat like," He swallowed hard, proably keeping himself from throwing up on the lawn. "Like Johnny Cade."

I stepped foward in rage, but contained myself. "Johnny's ten times the man you'll ever be." I snapped, pinching myself for sounding so cliche--but they were too drunk to take note of it.