Saying Goodbye

SOPHIE'S P.O.V.

My eyes throbbed from crying so much. I could barely open them. I laid, motionless on my bed in the Curtis house. My mind flurried, and I couldn't tell what was memory and what I made up in my head. 'Is Dallas dead?' My thoughts echoed. I opened my mouth slightly and breathed in sharply at the risk of breaking into tears again. Memories of last night flooded my brain, causing my breath to get caught in my throat. Dallas was dead, I watched him die, I clung to his body until I was pried away from him. I stayed on my back staring at the ceiling through blurry eyes. 

I remember Johnny picking me up like a baby in his arms when we got to the front door last night. He carried me upstairs and laid me in my bed. I crawled under the covers, then only crying a little. He started to walk out the door and I opened my mouth to ask him to stay, but nothing came out. I cried myself to sleep, and now, here I am. 

I laid in my bed without moving for a long time. I didn't even try to keep track of the time anymore. What was the point. I'm not going anywhere, I don't have to see anyone (I don't even want to for that matter). So I stared at the ceiling. At the fan endlessly turning.

Soon my door opened, and Johnny helped me to a sitting position. I didn't speak, I didn't make any facial expression. There was no reason to, and I had no will to. Johnny sat down next to me, and wrapped an arm around me. I wanted to say something, to wrap him in my arms and hug him, but I couldn't find the energy to. I was... Drained. "The police want to talk to you about what happened last night." He spoke softly, as if talking too loudly would physically hurt me. "They're gonna come up here and ask you some questions, but I'll be here the whole time." He kissed me hard on the forehead. "You gotta be strong and talk to them Soph." I kept my eyes staring at one spot in the room, not reacting to his words. "So they can find who did this to Dally."

My eyes managed to flick up when people started shuffling into my room. Only two policemen were there. I wondered why there weren't more on a murder case, but then I remembered we were greasers. They probably had ten greaser murders a week. It occurred to me that for them this was no big deal. For them this was just another day at work. For them, this was just another hood taken off the streets for good. Furry built up in me slowly like a fire. 'They don't care about Dallas.' My mind growled. 'They just wanna get this over with so they can go back to their cushy homes on the west side of town.' 

Ponyboy, Soda and Darry all came in too, each wearing a grimm face. "Do you know who killed your brother?" One of the police men asked. 

I was surprised by him being so abrupt. I wondered why they didn't ask for a statement or anything. I opened my mouth to speak but nothing came out. I closed my mouth, embarrassed, and Johnny wrapped his arms around me. "It's okay Soph, just tell em' who did it." He whispered.

It then occurred to me that I never told the rest of the gang who had killed Dally. Last night happened all so fast. I cleared my throat. "I-it was-" I stopped. My voice was coarse and rough. Like after a sore throat when you can talk but you still feel like crap. I barely recognized my own voice, but I forced myself to continue. "Mason Bennett." His name made rage fill me, flushing out any sadness and replacing it with a red hot fire. I glanced at Darry, and his face was stern, angry like mine. Then I looked to Soda and Pony, both their faces white as ghosts, drained of all color. My eyes naturally flicked to Johnny and I was a little taken aback by what I saw. A tear rolled down Johnny's cheek, then another one on the other rosy cheek. When he noticed me looking, he quickly wiped it away.