Ridin' dirty

SOPHIE'S P.O.V.

I couldn't look at Soda without thinking about what Dally had told me earlier. About Daisy and Mason. It made me sad, but I couldn't afford to be sad right now. I had a race to help win. Me and Soda chatted on the way there, coming up with signals and strategies for the race. As we approached the corner that we were starting at, we could already hear the drunken yells and howls. Two-bit was sipping on a beer as we walked up. "Two, gimme a drink." I said hastily before we got in ear shot of them.

"You don't drink

"You don't drink." He replied looking genuinely confused.

"Gimme!" I hissed at him.

He gave a surprised look and handed me the bottle. I put it to my lips and took a big chug on it. I hated the taste of beer, but I also hated racing completely sober too. I finished what was left in the bottle and threw it on the ground, it shattering into tiny pieces on the side of the road. Pony looked at me wide eyed with a 'you okay?' Kinda look. "I'm fine." I answered, reading his mind.

He raised his eyebrows and chuckled. "I just didn't know you drank." He said quietly.

I walked up beside him. "I don't."

I was still kind of shaken up from what I was told earlier, so that might have had an effect on my actions, but I really just wanted to take my mind off of that. Everyone who was already there, were drinking and smoking, trying to look cool. But I could see right through them. I knew that they were nervous out of their minds, all of them. From what I've heard and been told, Soda's a pretty badass driver when it comes to drag racing. We were at an intersection, right out of the neighborhood. The nearest house was a few hundred yards away and the ground that lined the street was all dirt. 

Everyone went kind of quiet when we walked up. "Aye everyone, they're here!" The guy who had asked Soda to race in the first place stepped forward and made a sour look, probably not thinking we were really gonna show up.

We all stopped in a line and tried to look cool. Two-bit took out a new pack of cigarettes and lit one up, passing it to Pony next, and then to me. The other people had lined up parallel to us and looked us up and down. One of them on the other side had zeroed in on me. His eyes narrowed and he smiled a crooked smile. "Who's this little broad?" He took a half a step forward, but Pony did too once he saw him do it, causing the guy go take his place back in the line, with a frown on his face.

"She'll be drivin' with me." Soda said laying his accent on thick.

The guy who had challenged us sniffed hard and looked at Sodapop with pressed lips and creased eyebrows. "That ain't allowed!" He yelled causing me to jump a little.

Soda stood cool and took the smoke from Pony. He took a long drag on it, then handed it back. He blew out the smoke so it almost reached the other line of people. Man, Soda could sure look tuff when he tried. "That was never established." He said kind of mispronouncing the word established.