Downfall

SOPHIE'S P.O.V.

Today is Friday December 31st - New Year's Eve. The past few days have been.. Interesting. Darry went on his first date with that Sara girl from the police station and he's been acting differently ever since then. He's been acting - well, bubbly is the best way to put it. Me and Johnny went out on a date yesterday to the Dingo. It was a date for about half an hour before the rest of the gang showed up and crashed it. Johnny was mad, but we ended up having fun with them.

"Today is gonna be fun." I thought to myself as I flipped through the pages of the book Pony gave me on Christmas. I was sprawled out on the couch in the Curtis living room. No one was home. Darry was at work, making up for the day he took off to go ice skating, Soda and Steve were at the DX, and Pony, Johnny, Dally, and Two-Bit went to a movie. I decided not to go because the meds I was still taking was making me a little lightheaded. I pressed my lips together as I got up from the couch where I resided for the past hour or so. I got dizzy all of a sudden and fell back down on the couch in a sitting position.

I closed my eyes tightly and held my head. When I opened my eyes again, I saw Ponyboy was in front of me. "Pony?" I asked squinting. 

He nodded thoughtfully and had a concerned look on his face. I opened my eyes wider, and Pony's figure wavered in thin air like a sheet left out in the wind. I furrowed my eyebrows as he became clearer. He backed up away from me, and I stood, confused. "Whaddya doing home? Where's the rest of the guys?" He looked at me with a confused face, and then his face changed. His expression was pain. His mouth hung open, and it looked like he was screaming, but no sound filled the air. "Pony?!" I yelled, frozen in my spot. 

Suddenly, a patch on his white shirt began to grow. It was blood. He grabbed his stomach in pain, and blood trickled out of his mouth. It looked like he'd been invisibly stabbed. He fell to the ground and toppled over, motionless. I ran to his side and felt sick to my stomach as the blood trickle from his mouth hit the floor and the blood from his wound was pooling around us on the carpet. I kneeled next to him, tears welling up in my eyes. His eyes looked glossed over and his face went still. "He's dead." My mind repeated to me silently. "He's dead." I reached out to touch him, but when my hand reached him, I didn't feel his warm body. His figure wavered like it had before, then disappeared. 

I looked down, confused and still crying. There was no trace of blood on the ground. Just then, the front door swung open, and Johnny and Dally walked in. I stared at them, bewildered through my tears. Johnny stopped and looked at me with confused eyes and furrowed eyebrows. "What's wrong?" He asked slowly. 

My eyes went straight to the door as I watched Two-Bit and Ponyboy walk into the house after them. "Pony?" My voice hoarse.

I stood and wiped my face, glancing down at the carpet one more time to make sure there was no trace of that ever happening. "Yeah?" Pony's face was happy from him and Two-Bit joking around. Then I remembered what the doctor had said. He said one of the side effects was hallucinations. I blinked hard as Johnny came over. "Sophie, are you okay?" Dally asked from behind him.

I thought for a moment, then looked up at them. "I'm just fine." I conjured a forced smile.

Johnny brought his thumb up to my cheek and wiped a tear. "You're crying." 

"Am I?" I lied, acting as if I didn't know. "I must-a been looking at the sun for too long." I smiled another painfully forced smile. 

Johnny gave me a questionable look, and I flashed him a reassuring smile. I shrugged him off and walked towards Dally, though I could feel Johnny's worried eyes on my back. As Pony and Two-Bit began to wrestle, I engulfed Dally in a casual hug. "How was the movie?" I muffled into his chest.