Suffocated.

SOPHIE'S P.O.V.

Sleeping that night was probably the best I've ever slept in my life. From the day I could write my name I always had worries and cares and things that needed attending. The place I always thought about those things was when I was in bed. But the night me and Johnny fell asleep holding hands, was different. I didn't have any cares in the world. I didn't think about anything other than him. That was the first night I didn't have a nightmare. Instead, I dreamt of him. About laying together on a picnic blanket on the beach, or taking long drives with him. Johnny was so easy to talk to, I could tell him how I was feeling, or tell him about something in my past, and he would totally understand. He was right. We were one of the same. He could relate to everything I'd felt, and vice versa.

My bed was warm and comfortable. I could hear the rain patter on the window and on the roof. The wind blew against the Curtis house causing it to shift and creek. I opened my eyes and smiled. I sat up and threw the pillow wall onto the ground. My heart sunk and my smile faded. Johnny was gone. I plopped back down onto the bed and looked up at the celing. 'I hate my life' I thought.

He left and I have no idea why. Completely typical for someone who the universe hates. 'Why would he leave?' I thought. 'There was no reason for him to...'

I started to feel panicked. What if something happened to him? I was freaking myself out too much. Laying there in my bed, I convinced myself that everything was alright. Johnny had some very important reason for leaving. I took a deep breath, then sighed. I stood from my bed and walked over to my dresser. I got in some t-shirt and jeans, I wasn't really paying attention to what I was wearing. I was too busy reliving last night over and over in my head. The way we talked, the way he talked. He held my hand. And I loved every second of it. Now just the thought of him made me feel butterflies in my stomach. I smiled and put on my socks. I let my hair be, and just decided to let it be natural.

I walked down the stairs with a subconscious smile plastered on my face. When I got down stairs, Steve was on the couch sitting up, watching TV. "Have you seen Johnny lately?" I asked trying to sound natural. Steve just grunted and didn't make any movements. I picked up a pillow on the couch and threw it at his hypnotized-by-TV-body. "You've been a big help." I  said sarcastically and walked into the kitchen.

Steve still didn't bat an eye at me. Darry and Soda were sitting at the table eating cereal, and Pony was up pouring himself some. "Mornin'." I mumbled walking to the table.

When Pony saw me, his face instantly fell into a concerned face. He walked away from the cereal he was preparing and grabbed my arm gently. He led me over to the doorway, out of earshot from Soda and Darry. "Did you have another nightmare last night?" He asked crossing his arms and maintaining eye contact.

I shook my head quickly. "I actually slept real good last night." I smiled.

Instead of his face lifting and going into a smile like I suspected it would, he looked confused. "I heard a bunch of voice coming from your room. I was so tired last night, I couldn't get out of bed," He chuckled, then his face went back to serious. "But I could have sworn I heard talking or mumbling. I just thought you might have had a nightmare."

I looked down at my feet realizing that he heard me and Johnny talking. I didn't really want to tell him about us just quite yet. I didn't even know what this was. Johnny left before we could talk. I don't know if we are together, or if he just needed someone close last night. "I must have just been talking in my sleep." I said in a hushed tone and crossing my arms.

Pony nodded slightly. "So you're okay?" He asked reassuringly.

"Yeah." I nodded and smiled. "I'm great."