Flashback 2007

September 17, 2007
Harlem , New York

Omniscient

Braelyn had been at Cristo Rey for about a month now and it seemed like a great school. She didn't have many friends but her brother Korey , he was a senior . This year she was a sophomore and although she seemed to be quiet , she was looking forward to at least having one friend.

She walked into her 3rd period science class and sat in her regular chair beside some extremely tall guy on the basketball team. He didn't really say much to her , however she saw that he was very much loved in the school . She had also saw her brother speaking with him from time to time .
The teacher assigned them together to do the in class assignment due in two weeks .

"Yo, you got a pen ", he asked her while she unpacked her book bag . She handed him a pen and he said thank you . They started their assignment for the day.

"My name is David by the way ", he spoke interrupting her from her assignment . " I know that ", she replied smiling . He returned her smile , "I mean you don't say much I never wanted to disturb you ". " It's cool , I'm Brae" .

As they went back to their work ,a girl named Briana walked in the class . As she walked by she spoke to David , giving him a flirty smile and sending Braelyn an evil glare. Braelyn chuckled under her breath , glancing at the poor girl . " What's funny?" , David asked looking up from his assignment . "You missed it , I don't think your girlfriend likes me ", she responded. David gave her a loud chuckle ,"You funny girl , you funny. That ain't mine, eww ".

After class the two went their separate ways to lunch . Braelyn sat at the same table that she had been sitting since she came to the school. While eating she scrolled through her iPhone . "Is someone sitting here ?", a familiar voice asked . She looked up and saw David from her science class. "No , what you doing over here don't you normally sit with the basketball team?", she replied turning her attention back to her phone . "I mean since we were aquatinted now I thought I'd sit with you . Is that a problem?", he asked . "You were at this school first , you can do what you want ", she laughed .

They ate in silence outside of random glances . " So Brae where you from , I know you not from here with that accent ", he asked . She laughed before answering , "Well since you are being nosy, I'm from Baltimore David". "Oh snap, you the little sister Korey was talking about . Yeah your brothers mad cool", he said finishing his fries. "Yep , that's my one and only ", she smiled.

While they were talking a group of 3 girls walked over as if Brae wasn't even sitting there . "Why aren't you sitting over there with us Davey?", the tall light skin female in the front of the girls asked. David looked up , "As you can see I'm eating --". Before he could finish , Braelyn spoke, ".. with his girlfriend, so stop being thirsty and go sit down". The girls gave Brae their attention , rolled their eyes and walked away.

"Thank you , these chicks be on a nigga cause I'm handsome ", he laughed . " Boy , whatever they were being really rude so I had to interject", she replied .

After lunch they walked to their next class together. David invited her to a basketball game on that following Friday . She agreed to go as long as Korey was going . He told her he wanted to introduce her to some of his friends , she agreed . She figured she would go with Korey and bring Arielle. Arielle went to Columbia Secondary as a high school junior and she knew she would love to come to the game . Since they went to separate schools they didn't spend as much time together anymore .

Friday

After school, Braelyn rushed in the house . She needed to make sure her grandmother didn't need anything while her, Arielle and Korey were at the game . Her little sister Kaiden could be a handful sometimes for the 67 year old . She was in the 6th grade and she was at that stage where she always wanted to be outside with her friends.

As soon as Braelyn finished cooking dinner , her and Korey begin walking to the game . Arielle was going to meet them at the game , she was coming with a friend from school. As they walked , they talked about their week . Out of all of the siblings , Korey and Braelyn were the closest .

Walking into the gym , Korey spotted his friend Rashad in the bleachers . The game had just started ,so they grabbed snacks first.

"Waddup," Rashad spoke as he dapped Korey and hugged Braelyn. As they were sitting down Arielle walked up with a light skinned girl , " Hey this is Lauren", she introduced . Surprisingly, Lauren went and sat next to Rashad . Braelyn looked at Arielle confused . " That's her boyfriend Rashad ", she laughed causing Brae to nod. They all focused back on the game .

The game was over and they all sat in the gym waiting for Dave to come up. The guys asked did they wanna hit the Bus Stop diner , the girls agreed . "Yo , y'all seen me hitting buckets cuz , Brae why you ain't have no sign up representing your man", he asked walking toward the group from the locker room . "My man boy please, you must have me confused with Briana", she chuckled as he threw his arm around her and they all left out of the school.

The guys rode with Rashad and the girls rode with Lauren. For a high school senior ,Rashad had a couple dollars. The rumor was he sold drugs , there was no other way to explain why a young nigga that lived in the projects drove an Audi. However, as the girls talked in the car . Braelyn learned that Lauren came from a pretty well off family and attended Columbia by choice. She grew up in Queens and really started hanging in Harlem a couple years ago when she met Rashad.

Pulling up to the diner , the girls got out of the car in a fit of laughter . "I'm just tryna eat right, shop all day and love my nigga", Lauren and the girls laughed at the inside joke . The guys just stopped , looking at the girls with raised eyebrows. The girls stopped laughing and walked in to get a table.

After everyone got their food , Braelyn and Lauren got better acquainted. "My cousin Ashley is throwing a party next weekend y'all should come ," Lauren smiled. "Hell no, my sisters aren't going anywhere near the Bronx Lauren", Korey interjected. Korey ran the streets and was very familiar with each borough . He was also very protective of the girls .

Braelyn rolled her eyes, "Whatever, Korey you swear you somebody daddy". "You don't see the nigga do you ?", he replied raising an eyebrow to his younger sister . "Korey ,chill if she wanna go I'll watch her . She good with me ",Dave spoke causing Braelyn to blush . "You better make sure you are at her side at all times too..",Korey replied as everyone went back to their regular conversation ...