I. 15 Years Ago

(song: seaside by the kooks)

I was sitting on the hardwood floor of the room I shared with Bethany. My barbie dolls were all scattered on the floor as I was being indecisive and couldn't choose which one I wanted to play with.

"Hey!" I screamed out when I was pushed aside and felt a presence sit beside me.

"Barbies are dumb!" He took my favorite doll and detached its head from its body, throwing the pieces on the floor and standing back up.

"I'm telling!"

"Shut up Florence!" He kicked my arm and ran back to his room, leaving me crying on the floor and clutching my arm. I hate him. He's so mean to me. He always makes fun of me and pushes me and I don't like it.

"Children! Living room, now!" Our foster mother, Mrs. Ludlow, called us downstairs and we all obeyed. We stood in a line in age order in front of her, just like she taught us to do.

"Today we have a few families coming in, they're going to want to adopt some of you. I want you all on your best behavior and I want you to be presentable. Go clean your rooms and put on your nice clothes and report back down here at two o'clock."

We all ran back upstairs to tidy our rooms and as I was about to reach the stairs, someone's foot was stuck out in front of me, causing me to trip. He ran up the stairs laughing at what he'd done. I hate him.

Two o'clock sharp, all of us are downstairs standing in a line in our best clothing. We wait for the families to show up and I pray for one of them to choose me. I don't want to be stuck with him again. I don't like him and he never stops being mean to me. He always makes fun of my name too. I like my name. Florence is a pretty name. It's special. He says it's stupid and ugly. He's ugly. I'm pretty and my name is pretty too.

The doorbell rang and Mrs. Ludlow opened the door with a smile to greet the families.

"Welcome! Come inside, come inside!" She led them all in and we all put on our best smiles. Mrs. Ludlow led the parents to us and introduced us to them, pointing at us and stating our names and ages.

"This is Judie, she's eleven years old. This is David, he's nine. Josh over here is nine as well, and so is Sarah. Sean is eight, Bill is eight, Charles is seven, Anna is six, and so are Zach, Sophie, and Wendy. Jack is five, Harry over here is four, and Florence and Bethany are three years old."

The parents nodded at each of us and smiled. The rest of the day was spent with all the parents talking to each of us, trying to decide who they would adopt. After a few hours they went into Mrs. Ludlow's office to discuss everything. I kept my fingers crossed, hoping that one of them would pick me.

"Why are you crossing your fingers loser?!" He shouted at me and slapped my hands. I ignored him and shut my eyes tight, praying I would finally be away from him for the rest of my life. Those taunting green eyes would never look at me ever again.

"Aw, the big baby is sad because I called her a loser! Waaah," he pretended to cry to mock me even though I showed no signs of crying. I hate him. He's going to be stuck in this house forever because no family will ever want him. He's a loser, not me.

"Children!" We heard Mrs. Ludlow's voice call out for us and we anxiously stood in line, waiting to discover who would be leaving today. Three pairs of parents. Three children will leave today. Three chances for one of them to be me. Nervous would be an understatement for how I feel.

"Okay children, these parents decided who they'd like to adopt and all they have to do now is sign all the papers. Now remember, they can't choose all of you and they thought you were all lovely, so don't get upset if they didn't choose you." Mrs. Ludlow gave us all a look that warned us to behave whether we were chosen or not, we can cry and pout when the families left.

"The Fourber family would like to adopt Charles. The Aston family would like to adopt Sarah, and the Smith family would like to adopt Florence." I couldn't help the smile that spread on my face. I would finally leave this house and leave him.

"Okay, you three go pack your things while we sign some more papers. Be back downstairs in half an hour."

The three of us were dismissed to go upstairs and I couldn't wait. I almost ran but I didn't want to be yelled at by Mrs. Ludlow before I left and ruin my chances with the Smiths, so I kept my composure and walked up to my room. Today is the best day I've ever had in this foster home, simply because I was finally leaving the rude boy who constantly found joy in taunting and teasing me.

I nearly jumped into the Smiths' car due to my excitement.

"Ready to go home Florence?" Mr. Smith asked me with a smile and I returned the gesture as I eagerly nodded my head. He laughed and turned around to start the engine and I looked out the window, back at the house that I will never be returning to ever again. Just then, he stepped out with the rest of the remaining family to wave us goodbye. The smile on my face grew as we backed away from the house, away from him.

*****

+ hey guys! I'm starting this fanfic and I hope you all like it

sorry if this chapter didn't seem really realistic of an orphanage, I kinda just made it up and I'm not sure if any of it is accurate but this was the only chapter that would include the orphanage anyway so yeah

credit to stylxnbums for the amazing cover! go check out her story and vote for it :)

and thanks for reading! don't forget to vote, comment, and add this to your library! xxx