Part 8: Promise?

"Let's get you up come on" Jonathan helped you up "do you want me to drive you home" he asked you looked up at him "no" you shook your head "can i stay here I don't have to if you don't want me to-" "no I want you to" Jonathan cut you off you smirked and nodded. Jonathan moved his hand to your face and whipped off a tear that still sat on your cheek you looked in his eyes as his were still looking at the thumb that whipped the tear. I will not kiss you. You repeated to yourself over and over again as you looked at him. "You can come stay in my room" you followed him down the hall into his room you walked in as he closed the door you sat on his bed looking at the posters he has around his room. He sat down next to you "why did you come here to see me in the first place?" He asked you looked down "I feel like it's my fault" you whispered Jonathan put a hand on your back "I offered Will a ride home that night if I would of just made him go with me like I had done almost every other night he would still be here" you felt your lip quiver "look at me please" Jonathan said you tilted your head to look at him "it's not your fault it'll never be" he whispered and smiled slightly you pressed your lips together and shook your head. Jonathan's hand left your back and you felt him get up he walked over to his dresser before kneeling down in front of you "this was my moms" he placed a necklace in your hand you looked at it carefully.

It was a key necklace with a little red jewel

It was a key necklace with a little red jewel. "I can't take this" you said and looked at him "yes you can because I'm giving it to you" he put his hand on yours closing your hand with the necklace in it you smirked and looked down. I will not kiss you. "I'll drive you home" he said you nodded and stood up.

The ride to your house was silent but you were okay with it. "I hope Dustins home" you knocked on the door and Dustin answered "what the-" you walked inside letting Jonathan follow you. "I thought I told you to go to bed" you said looking at Dustin "i went out with Mike and Lucas to see eleven" he said you sighed and turned back around "you gotta stop doing that" you kneeled down in front of him "I know you want to be with the boys and eleven and I can't blame you cause she's pretty fucking cool but I can't let not be afraid to get hurt" you took the hat off of his head showing all his little curls "cause you know how I'll feel ill be devastated and if you were to die I would literally go out of my fucking mind" you said firmly. Dustin hugged you and you tightly squeezed him back "go to bed" you said and let him go upstairs. You put his hat on the coat hanger low enough so that he could reach it in the morning. Jonathan followed you up to your room "woah" he whispered when he walked in "girly? I know " you replied taking your jacket off and hanging it in the closet Jonathan sat on your bed like you had done with his. "I'm gonna go change" you said with your pajamas in your hand , he nodded as you left the room and walked into the bathroom to change. "Jonathan" Dustin whispered from your door "aren't you supposed to be in bed" Jonathan asked Dustin moved into view to show him his pajamas. Dustin walked in your room and sat next to Jonathan on the bed "you like her right?" Dustin asked. You stopped in the hall and leaned on the wall out of sight so they thought you weren't there. "What? No it's um- it's not like that" Jonathan stuttered Dustin tilted his head at Jonathan with an eyebrow raised "obviously your lying but I just don't want her to get hurt and all" you smiled at what Dustin had said "you know? With Steve she was hurt I can't imagine what she would be like with someone who she actually really likes" Dustin smiled Jonathan looked down and smirked "I would never hurt her" Jonathan said Dustin nodded "promise?" Dustin asked Jonathan nodded "promise"

you walked in the room "Dustin I thought I told you to go bed" you said acting like you didn't just hear their little talk Dustin got off the bed and walked back to his room you shut your door "sorry" you said and put your clothes in the dirty pile for laundry "it's fine" Jonathan said and chuckled "I don't know if you need these but" you handed him a pillow and blanket. There was a knock at your door which startled you switching your gaze away from Jonathan "Dustin I said go to bed!" You yelled "y/n" your mom said. You felt like your heart and every other thing in your body dropped to the floor. "Wait I'm uh I'm changing!" You yelled back frantically thinking of ways to hide "closet" you whispered to Jonathan and he quickly got up. Your mom walked in your room .mom loved meeting your friends but this was the first time a guy was in your room without permission except Steve but your mom always knew when he was here "i didn't think you'd be awake" she said "yeah it was one hell of a night" if talking to a supposed dead person was 'one hell of a night' "did you talk to Joyce's boy today" she sat on your bed. Which one cause actually both. Embarrassment took over you replacing your sarcasm you wanted to yell at her to stop talking "No" you said getting more nervous by the second starting to regret telling her about your little crush "it's Friday I wish you would have tried to confidence is key" she said you smiled "what's his name again?"
"Jonathan" you quickly said "who knows maybe he likes you back your a pretty girl" she smiled at you and you wanted to die secretly because little did she know 'Joyce's boy' was in that closet right over there. "Your my mom your supposed to say that" you said wanting to change the topic she chuckled and shook her head "well maybe you'll see him tomorrow run into him in the store or something I know that it makes your day" Where's the next flight of stairs? Or let's just take the window instead. "I don't feel good" you quickly said changing the subject not wanting to be more embarrassed then you already were "I'm just gonna go to bed"

"Alright if you need anything yell for me" she gave you a kiss on the forehead before walking out of your room closing the door behind her you rushed over locking it so no one else could just walk in. Jonathan shyly walked out of the closet "do you really feel sick" he asked "no" you mumbled against the surface of the door unsure if you were ready to face him yet.
"We can lay down" you said and sighed Jonathan nodded and set the pillow and blanket up on the floor you laid down in your bed. The room fell silent "can you come up here actually?" You said breaking the silence you heard Jonathan get up from the floor and walk to the other side of the bed. He slowly sat down obviously nervous. "Do you want the light on or off?" You asked "you can turn it off" he responded his voice shaky you leaned over and with a shaky hand turned off the bedside light that was on your nightstand. The room was dark the only light being the light that streamer through the curtain from the street light. You turned on your side. Jonathan was lying on his back with his hands crossed over his stomach. You didn't know if you wanted to do what you were about to but confidence is key? Like your mom said. You moved over and laid your head on his chest taking a hold of his hand pressing your body onto his. He was obviously startled by the sudden movement but okay with it he squeezed your hand in response and moved his arm so it was wrapped around you the other still holding your shaking hand. This is where you wanted to be. Fall asleep in the arms of Jonathan Byers...