Chapter 19

A few days later

     "A business trip?" I asked into my phone, "For how many days? Three? No! I have a kid--I'm not going to leave my kid with a babysitter for three days! A few hours, yes, but for three whole days. Nuh-uh! You're crazy!"

     "I'm sorry, Ms. Warren," Monica, my assistant, said, "but this is a very important deal for the company. You will have to show your face this time. I have covered up for you not showing your face until now. The committee members and other CEOs are really running out of patience. They are demanding to see who the CEO of our company is. They are not going to trust us with deals anymore."

     I don't think I've ever really explained my job: I am the CEO of Q's company. I never show my face because I hate fake people. People who cozy up to you because you have money, because you have power. I also never wanted to show my face because the first thing that would come up is my past.

     I took a deep breath. I didn't want to put my child in the public's eyes constantly being judged and watched, but I also had to think about the people who worked in my company and the families that relied on them. "Fine, I'll go to the meeting," I sighed.

     "I already booked your flight for tomorrow," she said.

     "Tomorrow?" I asked shocked, "Monica, sometimes, you don't have to get everything done so quickly. You have to learn to take it slow sometimes. You have to give yourself a breath. Learn to stop and smell the roses."

     "I'll keep that in mind. I will get the papers ready for tomorrow. I will see you tomorrow Ms. Warren," she hung up. I slammed my phone on the table. I knew that Janice had to work, so the only person I could leave her with is Juliette. I wasn't sure if I should leave Quinn with her. When Julie watched her at my house it was okay, but this time Quinn would have to stay at her house. Finally I made up my mind and called Juliette. I asked her if she could watch Quinn and she agreed. I slammed my phone down again and began to pack.

     The next day, I dropped Quinn off at Juliette's house and drove to the airport. I was off to Italy.

Nathaniel's POV

     I plopped myself on my couch and lied there thinking about how perfect life would've been with my angels. "Hey, babe," Rachel said in a nasally voice as she walked in. A guy came out behind her, one of my security guards. Her robe was half falling off her and the dude was buckling his belt. The guy left and she took a seat next to me. She trailed her finger down my arm.

     "What do you want?" I asked annoyed.

     "You," she answered. I did the childish thing and rolled my eyes. "Really. I love you," she said it so honestly that it made me want to barf.

     "Listen. The only reason your still in my house is because of your parents. I hate you and I will die before I even lie and say that I love you. We're not really married anyways. As soon as Angie says yes to getting back together with me, we're through—wait, we never started anything to be through with," I scoffed.

     "Would she really get back together with you? I mean, you did cheat on her with her best friend and while she was pregnant—"

     "I didn't know," I answered. It sounded pathetic.

     "You spent three years resenting her and when you met her you treated her like dirt. She probably hates you as much as you hate me, maybe even more. She's never gonna get back together with you, so might as well enjoy what you have before you regret it," She sat on top of me.

     "She will get back together with me. We loved each other. We have a kid together. We are going to get back together," I answered.

     "Please, hell would freeze over before she even considered saying yes. Knowing you, you probably didn't even apologize," My eyes widened in realization. I never said sorry. Two simple words: I'm sorry. I never said it. I closed my eyes in frustration. How could I be such an idiot? Sorry should've been the first thing I said before anything else. I grabbed my phone and wallet and was heading out when Rachel stopped me.

     "She's probably gone now. On a flight to Italy. Meeting an old friend," She said.

     "What do you mean?" I asked. She shrugged. I grabbed her shoulders and shook her, "What are you talking about?"

     "She doesn't know that she's on a flight to go see her long lost lover, Jackson. I just love playing matchmaker. Jackson is my brother. I found him a few days ago. I researched his past and found that Angelina was a huge part of it. Now, I'm setting them up together. I mean I did sleep with you. This is the least I could do for her," She said smiling.

     "I didn't sleep with you," I gritted my teeth.

     "Well, honey, she 'thinks' we did. You could've told me to leave right when she came in, but you didn't and you made her misunderstand. Even if you tell her now that you didn't sleep with me, she wouldn't believe you. And she 'thinks' we're married. I still can't believe that you haven't signed our marriage license for three years. Yes, we're not husband and wife on legal papers, but I own you. You're not going anywhere, babe. You're stuck in the palm of my hand. NO MATTER WHAT, I OWN YOU. So give up on getting back together with Angelina. It's not happening," she flipped her hair and walked back into her room. I fell to the ground. Tears fell heavily down my face. Was I really going to lose my Angel?