Chapter 56: Final Gym Battle?

Start bij het begin

"Not bad," Ash muttered, "but we can take that. Talonflame, let's heat things up! Flame charge!" An already fast attack, somehow seemed faster. Ash noticed Wulfric's shock as the fiery body of Talonflame was crashing into Cryogonal only an instant after Ash's order. "Now, steel wing!" Ash yelled. Talonflame didn't hesitate at all. Cryogonal, already staggering back from the flame charge, was struck once more by Talonflame's silver-coloured wing and was knocked hard to the ground, where it slid away on the ice.

Wulfric smiled and laughed. "Yes! This is the kind of battle I want! Excellent!" He definitely looked pumped up. "Ice beam!"

"Flame charge! Right through it." Ash countered, wondering why Wulfric would use a move that Talonflame could easily counter. Then, as Talonflame rushed forward, engulfed in flames, Ash figured it out. It was a trap. "Fly up!" Ash was going to need to get Serena to make Talonflame some pokepuffs later, because the fire-bird was really in top form today. He launched upwards, still engulfed in his flames, and easily avoided the ice beam. More importantly though, he didn't get too close to Cryogonal. Ash knew what Wulfric had been planning. He'd wanted to draw Talonflame in close, likely for his confuse ray attack. Talonflame stopped his flame charge and hovered, high in the air. Ash saw him wince from the hail, but other than that, he was fine.

"Quick thinking, Ash," Wulfric admitted with a frown. "However, don't think this battle is over just yet. I have more. Cryogonal, flash cannon."

As Cryogonal started to glow, with lights whipping towards him, Ash knew he needed to think fast. He couldn't really avoid the hit. He knew Cryogonal could likely land it. Talonflame would have to power through. "Alright Talonflame, let's show them how much stronger we are! Brave bird, full power!"

Talonflame nodded, flapped his wings hard and launched further upward, covering his body in a white and blue light. Then, he twisted rapidly, and surged downward, straight towards Cryogonal, who was just about to launch his attack. For a brief moment, Ash was sure Talonflame's speed might allow him to strike before Cryogonal could attack, but unfortunately, the snowflake-Pokemon was definitely able to unleash.

The blast of energy shot forth from Cryogonal as Talonflame was just a couple feet away. Ash could barely see what was happening. He could only see the blue glow from brave bird in the midst of the smoke that had blasted outwards from the colliding attacks. Then, in that moment, Talonflame screeched out a loud and and furious battle cry and the blue light became larger and brighter. There was a crashing sound and Cryogonal was suddenly flying through the air and then crashing into the ice field. It looked like it was going to try to get up for a moment, but then it collapsed.

"Cryogonal is unable to battle. Talonflame is the winner!" Ash pumped his fist happily as Talonflame flew over and landed in front of him. He was wincing from the recoil and also at a shot of hail, but otherwise he looked ready to continue. Ash looked up at Serena who smiled happily at him, knowing the importance of that victory. Oh...and Bonnie and Clemont were happy too, he realized. That was also good.

"Well done," Wulfric admitted, returning Cryogonal to its pokeball and then pulling out another. "You'll have a hard time with this, though." He threw out his next pokeball and a massive four-legged Pokemon made of ice, emerged on the field. An Avalugg. The referee signalled to continue, and Wulfric made the first move. "Stone edge!"

"Flame charge!" Ash countered. "Use your speed to get past it."

Stage two of the battle was on.

XXXXX

Serena was so proud of Ash. He was so focused and his reactions were as quick as ever. Wulfric probably couldn't even recognize him from their last match. Obviously she still had a hint of worry in her, but that could never be helped. First of all, the way Ash battled, it was always nerve wracking, even though it was exciting. And, of course, it was only natural for her to worry about him when he was fighting for something he was so passionate about.