Chapter 19: Life or Death

Chapter 19
-
-
-

Harley could feel that she was awake. She was awake and living, but somehow unable to open her eyes. She tried, tried to open then up to let her icy blue eyes scan her surroundings. She didn't know where she was. She could feel that she was laying on something soft, her body wrapped into a sort of fluffy material. She tried to move, she tried so hard, but it didn't work. Something was odd. She could hear soft sounds, almost like they were muffled. It almost sounded like someone was crying. She didn't understand. Was she dead? Was this what death felt like?

It was certainly not how she had expected it to be. She had expected nothingness. That she wouldn't be able to think anymore. Like a dreamless sleep that took forever. She had never feared death; she hadn't feared anything the last days of her life. The only thing she had feared was losing her puddin, but now that he was gone, she lived a fearless life. She had even been willing to embrace death, just to get rid of that inner pain that was nagging to her so horribly. If this was death it was even worse than living. Here there was nothing she could do to distract herself from her own thoughts, she could do nothing other than think about how little she had done to safe her puddin's life.

She kept trying to open her eyes, until it eventually worked. She slowly opened them. Now she knew what the fluffy thing was, it was her pink bathrobe, the one that was her all time favorite. The joker had bought it for her. The first thing she saw was the ceiling of her own bedroom. It confused her for a moment. When the thought about it, she assumed one of the henchmen had dragged her out of the water, but when she started to look around, she realized how wrong she was. He was sitting there on his knees, right next to the bed. His face was pressed against the sheets. She blinked a few times and opened her mouth."Puddin?" Her voice broke immediately, tears started coming up in her eyes.

The joker looked up and stared into Harley's eyes. He stared at her for a moment before suddenly getting up, sitting on the bed and pulling her into his arms. "It's okay pumpkin, hush.." he softly pats her still daps hair and holds her head against his shoulder. Harley was sitting in his lap, her eyes open and tears streaming down her cheeks. The joker gently lays his hands on her cheeks and looks into her beautiful blue eyes. "I'll never leave you." He whispers and kisses his forehead. "H-how?" Harley asked, the confusion clear in her voice.

Joker got quiet for a moment, the gears in his head working as he tried to find a way to explain what had happened. "Harl, I pushed you out to safe you. I had to.." He started. "right before the car hit the building, I set off a smoke bomb and jumped  out of the car. I wasn't in the immediate crash, but I didn't come out unharmed." Only now Harley truly started to look at him. Pieces of his hair had been burned, patches of skin a fierce red or either completely black. Her eyes widened even more. He had been in that crash because he hadn't saved himself.

"I had to choose Harley. It was all one big guess, whether I would make it in time or not, but I couldn't risk your life. I couldn't let you get hurt." Harley's tears hadn't stopped while he was talked, they  had gotten worse. "You would've been okay if you hadn't saved me.." she mumbled. He knew Harley would always choose his life instead of her own, that's the way Harley was. Harley carefully lays her hands on his cheeks and looks into his emerald eyes. "I'm sorry." She whispered.

Joker could feel cold metal touch his cheek, the ring he had slipped into her boot before pushing her out of the car. He took her hands and looks at the ring. "Dry your tears Harls." He wiped the tears of her cheeks with the back of his hand. "that ring.." He looks down at the ring and remains quiet for a moment, like he needed some time to think about what he was going to say. "I actually wanted to do this differently.. but.." He looks back up into her eyes. "Harley, will-" he couldn't finish. "GCPD! The building is surrounded! You two have one chance to surrender!" The words came through a speaker from outside. Tons of cops had surrounded the building, henchmen were being handcuffed and brought into police vans. "Puddin?" Harley asked nervously. The joker lays a finger on her lips and shushed her. This was going to be a long night for the two of them.