Chapter 9: free fall, part 2

Chapter 9

-

joker saw it happen. he saw Harley drop herself out of the window. he saw her land on the ground. he saw her body go weak. he had yelled her name, but there was nothing he could've done. he had been two stories higher than her. joker slowly stumbled away from the window he was standing. he had a hard time processing what just happened, that Harley wasn't standing up again. Frost walked into the room where the joker was standing. "sir we have to go, drop the money." he said. joker didn't protest. he couldn't feel a thing. Frost guided the joker out of the building, his henchmen had already opened the back of a van. Harley jumped into the van and sat down. he could feel the van starting to drive, the uneasiness of the henchmen around him.

suddenly, the joker let out a loud, frustrated groan. he punched his fist against the walls of the van and shook his hand out. he took his purple gloves off and didn't bother to check his knuckles. "H O W?" the joker was filled with pure anger now, anger towards everything and everyone. "H O W?" he repeated before slumping back. "how did this happen..?" he growled, expecting his men to answer him. everyone remained quiet. the joker glared at one and stood up while pointing at him, his hand shaking. "speak." he ordered the young henchman. "we prioritized your safety over hers.. sir.."

the joker couldn't take those words. he quickly pulled his purple and golden gun and shot the guy in his arm. "this is your first warning." the joker said darkly while sitting down. once they arrived at the hideout, the joker jumped out of the van and walked into the building. he immediately started collecting all Harley's stuff. all her weapons, all her clothes and pictures. it took him a while, but he didn't mind. he had to make it feel like she was there with him, like she wasn't gone forever. he brought all the stuff to a large, empty room. the room was empty, except several mannequins placed against the walls.

in the mean time, the police had already put Harley's body in an ambulance. they weren't going to do anything special with her body. all they wanted to do was do some research on her and then burn her body. once they arrived at the hospital, they rolled Harley inside, towards a room. they left the bed there and multiple scientists and doctors came into the room. they took multiple samples of several parts of her body. one even tattooed a number on her ankle, the time of her death. 11:36 PM. 8-24-'16.

it took the joker three full hours to dress all the plastic mannequins up like Harley. he even put wigs on them. every single one of her favorite outfits was there. he started to lay all the pictures he had of her all over the floor. her face was everywhere around him. he only left a hole in the middle where he could sit. his eyes were filled with tears the entire time he was busy. once he was done with all the pictures, he laid out her weapons, and even lit some candles that smelled like her. the sweetness of her bubblegum but also other scents. joker sat down in the middle of it all. he held her makeup in his hands and stared at it.

without thinking, he started to apply it on his own face. he didn't care if it made him look like a fool. he put it all away and just sat there, holding his gun in his hand. it was all getting to him, the fact that his Harley was never coming back. he slowly raised his gun and put it against his temple.