Epilogue

Four months later

 "However did you manage it, Chagny?" Erik asked as they rode home from the opera. "I never thought I would see one of my operas on stage like that." 

 "I do still have influence, you know. And it deserved to be performed on stage." It had made Raoul happy to see the look of delight on Erik's face when he told him what he had arranged. 

 When they returned home, Erik walked to the drawing room and sat down at the piano. 

 "Planning the next one already?" Raoul asked as he strolled in. 

 "Perhaps tomorrow. I am so happy you brought me and Gustave to the opera tonight. I wrote that one not long after I first came here with you." 

 "And it was a beautiful story."

 Raoul knew why he had written it. It seemed like a tale that had been being told for years. Hades and Persephone. Beauty and the Beast. Christine and Erik. The beautiful lady who learned to love the monster, or the beast, helping them find the light. Yet Erik had ended it with the couple dying together, like Romeo and Juliet, because they never wanted to be separated. Of course when Christine died, Erik would have wanted to die as well. Raoul did, too. 

 "Erik, how would you like to see the ballroom?" Raoul asked now. 

 "The one that you locked up and said you would never use again?" 

 "I was drunk, and still grieving. I found the key in my desk this morning; I didn't realize I stillhad it. Would you like to join me?" 

 "Well, now I must; you've made me curious. I believe is the only room in this house I have never seen." 

 Erik followed Raoul down the hall to where the locked door stood. 

 "This should work." Raoul pushed the key in and turned the lock. "Here we are." He pushed the doors open and looked around. 

 "This has to be the dustiest ballroom I have ever set eyes on," said Erik. 

 "And just how many ballrooms have you set eyes on? It has not been used for nearly seven years now." 

 "You did not use it often, then? It is certainly large enough for a ball." 

 "I know. We did host parties here sometimes. Christine could light up the entire room." Raoul walked in and gazed around, as if trying to picture those times. Then he turned around and said to Erik, "Come dance with me." 

 "Dance with you?" 

 "Yes. I know it's dusty and there's no music, but we still can. Just one dance." 

 Erik silently considered it. "One dance. But I'm not dancing the girl's part." 

 "Well, I'm certainly not. And you still owe for saving your life." Raoul pulled Erik onto the dance floor and spun him around. "Now, this isn't so bad, is it? Do you even know how to dance?" Raoul pulled him into a waltz. "There's no music, but I can imagine it." 

 "So can I." 

 They danced silently for a quick moment. Then Raoul said, "Are you as old as you said you were?" 

 "What?" 

 "When you told Gustave your story, you said you were fifty-two." 

 "Because I am. And how old are you now, Chagny? You cannot be much younger than me." 

 "I'm forty-one now. I know I'm not very old yet, but I have decided that if I'm not dead within the next few years, I will give my title to Gustave. He will be old enough; he's already a man. I think I've spent enough time holding the title." 

 "And where will you go?" Erik asked him. 

 "To Normandy, back to the chateau. I want to have a quiet, peaceful life there. Of course I would come and visit Gustave often, but I would not live here anymore." 

 "And what about me?" Erik asked. 

 "I was getting to you. I thought that, perhaps, after the life you have had, perhaps you would like to come live in Normandy with me. When I go, that is. That will not be for a few more years." 

 "It sounds strange, doesn't it?" Erik asked. "The two of us living alone together? How do you know I won't kill you?" 

 "Because I saved your life a few months ago," Raoul replied. "And, strangely enough, I have faith in you now. So will you go with me or not?" 

 Erik was silent. Raoul thought that perhaps he'd said the wrong things. But then Erik looked him in the eye and said, "Yes. I'll go with you." 

 Raoul smiled. "You would say yes to me, but not to your Persian friend?" He laughed at the look of disgust on Erik's face. "You are a good dancer for someone whose only time at a ball was to frighten people." 

 "Do not remind me of that. Are you going to torment me with things with that when we move to Normandy? Because I will kill you then." 

 "No, you won't. I know you won't. You are afraid of being alone again, and I know you like me but just won't admit it." Raoul spun him around again. "And I want your company. I must say, Erik, I have never known anyone quite like you."