II

Gustave was relieved when the trio finally arrived in France. He had been seasick for nearly the entire journey, and every time he tried to sleep, there always seemed to be some nightmare waiting for him. He knew his father was having nightmares as well; Gustave could hear Erik tossing about and whimpering at night. As for Raoul, he must have drank nearly all the liquor on board by time the voyage was over.

 "If you keep drinking like that," Gustave heard Erik say to him once, "you'll end up dead somehow. I had thought perhaps you wanted to live to see your family's glory restored, or whatever it is you plan to do with your time."

 "That is what I plan to do," Raoul had replied, slurring slightly. "A little drinking never hurt anyone."

 "That is if it were only a little," Erik muttered. 

 They landed at a port not far from Nantes. It felt good to be back on land again, Gustave thought.

 "From here, we shall have to get a carriage to Paris," Raoul announced.

 "And where will you be getting this carriage if you have no money?" Erik asked dryly. "And we have three passengers and...and one coffin. We may need two."

 Raoul was silent for a long moment. "I will find something," he said eventually. "I'll send word to my sister's husband. Perhaps he can help."

 "Would this brother-in-law be willing?"

 "Well, he...doesn't like me very much," Raoul admitted a bit sheepishly. "He is actually one of the people I owe money to."

 Erik sighed heavily. "Well, thankfully I have money. Shall we find somewhere to spend the night and leave in the morning?"

 "That is a good idea. There must be a good inn somewhere here."

 So the trio found an inn where Erik got them a room and supper.

 "Enjoy the glass of wine, Chagny, because it is the only one you are getting," Erik said to Raoul. Before the nobleman could protest, he added, "Do not forget that I am paying for this meal, not you. Do you really want to add me to the list of people whom you owe money?"

 And so Raoul kept silent on the matter.

~~~~~~

 "There's only one bed!" Raoul cried when they went up to their room.

 "Then you and Gustave can take it," said Erik. "I am not tired."

 "There's only enough room for one person."

 "Then you can sleep on the floor, Chagny, for all I care." Erik sat down at the little table and lit the candle.

 "Father, are you feeling well?" Gustave asked cautiously. "Perhaps you should sleep in the bed."

 "No, I would rather not." He pulled some papers and a pen and inkwell out of his carpet bag and began writing. 

~~~~~~

 Raoul looked over at Gustave. He seemed to be sleeping soundly. He looked over at Erik, who was still writing silently.

 "Um, Erik-" he began.

 "What is it, Chagny?"

 "I just wanted to say that, well, I am sorry, I suppose for, well, the way I acted back in New York. It seems silly now that we were fighting over Christine in such a way. That night in the tavern, I don't know what I was thinking. I was drunk, you know, although I suppose that is not much of an excuse."

 Erik sighed and put down his pen. "To be frank, I understand how you feel. That bet was one we should not have made. We should have let Christine decide. I was selfish. It feels as though it really was because of us that she is dead now."

 "And Meg Giry," Raoul pointed out. "She kidnapped Gustave. Where did she and Madame Giry go, anyway?"

 "I don't know and I don't care," Erik snapped. "When we get to Paris, we are going to arrange a proper funeral for our Christine. Then you are going to find a way to get your debts paid."

 "And what will you do?" Raoul asked.

 "I still have no idea. I have a child to look after now. He needs a proper home."  

 "You could both live with me for now," Raoul suggested. "I have more than enough room."

 Erik looked back down at his papers. "Do you have a piano?"

 "Yes, I do."

 "Then I shall consider that."

 Gustave listened from the bed, the blanket pulled half way over his face. Why would they think they were the reason his mother was dead? And what bet had they made?