I

The day after the night of his mother's death, Gustave Chagny awoke not knowing where he was. As he sat up in the unfamiliar bed, all the memories of the night before came flooding back to him. His mother was dead, gone. She wasn't coming back.

 He could hear voices coming from the neighboring room.

 "If we are arranging for Christine's body to return to France, perhaps you would want to return as well."

 Gustave opened the door just a bit to peek into the sitting room. His father-no, stepfather, it would seem-, the Count Raoul Chagny, stood awkwardly in the middle of the room, looking tired and disheveled. His real father, the mysterious Mr. Y (as the man called himself), stood by the window, staring into the street below.

 "I don't know what to do," his father said softly. "What of you, Chagny?"

 "I will be returning to France with my wife's body," he answered. There is nothing here for me, anyway. Christine is...gone, and Gustave is...not mine. I still have debts that need to be paid. And...well, I must ask, do you have a name? Besides the Angel Of Music and Mr. Y."

 He looked over at Raoul. "Erik. But no one has called me by that name in a very long time, though you can if you wish. How shall you pay your debts?" 

 Raoul stared down at the floor silently. "I have not thought of that yet. But I will. If...you are going to stay here...take care of Gustave, will you?"

 Erik nodded. "I will. I already love him. Christine wanted him to know me, and so he shall."

 Gustave opened the door wider and slipped through. "Good morning," he said softly.

 Raoul gave him a weary smile. "Good morning, my boy. How are you feeling?"
 He shook his head. "Not very well. Are you actually leaving soon with Mother? When?" 

 "Tonight. There is nothing left here for me, and I still have unfinished business in Paris." 

 "And your mother would have wanted to be buried with her father, Gustave," said Erik.

 "I suggested she be buried with the rest of the Chagnys," Raoul put in, "but your father abhors the idea. But he is right in thinking Christine would want to be buried with her father. I suggested you and your father may wish to return to Paris as well." Raoul turned to the window.
"Oh, where has he gone now? I was awake in here all night with that man, and I do believe he is completely out of his mind."

 Gustave looked around the room. There was an empty bottle and two glasses on the table. "What did you do all night?"

 "Mostly thought silently to ourselves, and your father cried quite a bit. Neither of us really wanted to speak to the other. I have felt very ill, honestly." Raoul went over to the table and picked up the empty bottle, and called, "Do you have anymore of that whiskey?"

 "It's scotch!" Gustave heard Erik call. "You cannot still be drunk! It is far too early in the morning for you to be drinking," he said, coming back up the stairs. "I may need you sober."

 Erik returned carrying a tray containing a teapot and three cups along with three bowls of warm porridge and set them all on the table. "Come, eat breakfast. We shall all need our strength."

 "I don't think I'm hungry," Gustave replied.

 Erik gave him a sad look, then sighed and looked down at the tray. "Neither am I. I don't know what I am doing." 

 "Do you actually eat this often?" Raoul asked, looking down at his bowl in slight disgust.
 "That is perfectly good porridge," Erik snapped. "That is what I have and I doubt you can cook, so eat it or starve. I don't care which." He sat down and poured himself a cup of tea. He then asked rather suddenly, "Gustave, would you like to return to Paris?"

 "Yes, I think would," Gustave replied hopefully. "Would you like to?"

 Erik thought it over silently. "I am not sure, honestly. There are still those who will remember the Opera Ghost."

 "Oh, I doubt that," said Raoul. "You should be safe enough. It has been ten years; people find other things to gossip about. It's astonishing, really, how fast gossip can come and go."

 "Then perhaps..." Erik took a sip of his tea. "Chagny, it seems you have two more joining you tonight. Be prepared, both of you."

~~~~~~

 "Where is he?" Raoul looked at his watch impatiently. He and Gustave had gathered their belongings and were waiting outside Phantasma.

 "He must be coming soon," Gustave said nervously.

 "Well, if he not here in the next few minutes, I am leaving without him."

 "Do you smell smoke?" Gustave asked.

 There was indeed a smell of smoke in the air, coming from inside Phantasma.

 "What has he done now?" Raoul whispered as the flames rose out of the building.

 "Father's in there!" Gustave cried.

 "You can't go in there, son!" Raoul cried and grabbed him. "You could get killed! If he wants to kill himself, I say we respect his wishes and leave him be."

 Just then Erik exited the building.

 "What have you done now?" Raoul cried. 

 "What, that?" Erik glanced back at the building. "That was necessary. It can be rebuilt and turned into something better. Now, where is our boat, Chagny? I would like to leave as soon as possible."