IX

Paris 

 "Will Father really return in a few days?" Gustave asked his stepfather.

 "He said he would, and I think you should have faith in him," Raoul replied, though he was uncertain himself.

 That night, after Gustave had gone to bed, Erik was all Raoul could think about. Was it possible he was in danger? 

 Perhaps I should not have left him alone, he thought. I should have insisted he come back today, however much he would have threatened to kill me. 

He then remembered just who he was thinking about. That man was probably capable of things Raoul did not even know about. Whatever it was, he could take care of himself.

~~~~~~

 Normandy  

Erik was speechless. His old friend, the Daroga Amir Attar, was standing in the same room as him after so many years.

 "I know my appearance must be shocking to you," he said.

 "Shocking?" Erik repeated. "I thought I would never see you again. How did you find me?"

 "Ever since I left Persia, I have been looking for you. After I helped you escape, I knew it would not be safe for me to stay where I was. For years I traveled throughout Asia and then Europe, looking for you. When I arrived in Paris, I heard a story about an Opera Ghost, who reminded me very much of you."

 "But how did you know I was with Chagny?"

 "I heard his name mentioned in the story, and that he married the woman you loved. I found where he lived, and saw you enter the house with Chagny and his boy."

 "That is not Raoul's son," Erik said, "He's mine. You watched me while I was in Paris with Gustave and Chagny, and you followed us here? Why would you not just come to me, Daroga?"

 "You know I enjoy using my observational powers. I wanted to see how much you had changed in the last twenty-two years. These last weeks, watching you with your son and that French idiot, you seemed happy. I cannot remember a time you were ever truly happy when we were in Persia, even though you were high in favor with the Sultan."

 "Well, he did order for me to be executed after building that palace for him to hide his precious treasure in," Erik pointed out. "But I was never fond of him or anyone else there anyway. But why did you spend the last two decades searching for me when I am the reason you had to leave your home?"

 "Erik, do you really know that little about me? From the moment we met, I knew you were special. Regardless of what your face looks like, I saw who you are on the inside. Erik," Amir took a step closer, "I searched for you because I want you to come away with me."

 Erik stared at him, stunned. "You want me to...go where with you?"

  "Anywhere you want. I do not care where we find ourselves, as long as you are there. Erik, from the moment we met, I was drawn to you. The last twenty-two years have been with agony and longing."

 "Amir, I cannot leave Gustave."

 "Why not? He will be taken care of."

 "By Raoul ? Absolutely not! I am not leaving my son with him! He drinks like a sailor and is nearly bankrupt with a mountain of debts to pay!"

 "You do not seem to have minded his company these past few weeks," Amir pointed out.

 "I am beginning to tolerate him," Erik admitted. "I am not fond of him, but I hate him less than I did ten years ago. Perhaps now that Christine is dead and we have agreed to take care of Gustave together, I am able to see him as a human being with actual feelings. But, Amir, I can't just leave with you. And...Gustave wants to stay where he is. I will not take him away if he wants to stay, even if it means seeing Chagny more often than I would like to." 

 There was a long silence as the two stared into each other's eyes. Erik had always been wary of the Daroga. Even though he was the only friend Erik had during his time in Persia, there had always been something about him that made Erik try hard not to get too close with him.

 "I understand," Amir said gruffly. "You love your son, and want to be with him. You are going to do what wants, and clearly what he wants is you and this fool Chagny. The child seems to think the three of you can live together as a happy family; he lost a mother, but now has two fathers." He came closer, and said softly in Erik's ear, "It will not last long. I know you. You will become bored and tiresome soon enough. When you do, I will be waiting for you. I will be watching over you, Erik." He walked past him and exited through the front door, leaving Erik alone with his thoughts.

 He definitely would not be sleeping that night.