05. Dancing with the devil

Start from the beginning

What is he up to this time? A flicker of panic welled up in me. His wealth was a lodestone for almost every woman out there, so why me? Knowing him and his cunning streak, he had a purpose for everything.

"Remember to smile and dance with as many men as you can." Aunt drilled into our heads. "Except Lilly." She grinned at me. "Only dance with Lord Dalgliesh. You want to show him that you're loyal to his advances."

I coughed daintily. There was no use arguing with her so I just nodded.

"And you better not scare him away like you did with other men!" She warned darkly, threatening me with her glare.

I nodded again. I was not just going to scare him away, oh no. I was going to murder him slowly if need be, starting off with the chinese water torture method that I picked up from Karim.

"Excellent!" The hypocritical woman clapped her hands joyfully, not seeing the mutinous look on my face. The coach came to a halt and servents hurried forward to guide us off. "This ball is going to be the best ever, let me tell you."

When a servant put his hand out for me, I ignored it. I could get off the coach by myself! Damn those chauvanistic bastards who thought that women always needed help even in the simplest of actions.

"Lady Metcalf!" A fake smile plastered itself onto my Aunt's face the moment we stepped into the mansion and caught sight of the hostess. "Thank you for your invitation!"

The other older lady returned Aunt Brank's facial constipation. "Of course! How could I not when Lord Dalgliesh himself insisted that Miss Lillian Linton herself attend my ball?" The old witch turned her gaze to me, her smile flickering.

Jealousy. It was written all over her face. The question: Why did he choose that tanned little shrew and not my gorgeous daughter? flashed on her forehead.

I glared at her until she looked away. Personally, I found her daughter rather hideous.

"Ah yes, I can't say that I'm not delighted by Lord Dalgliesh's intrest in my niece." Aunt Branks gloated. Lady Metcalf's face twitched as if she just took a swig of lemon juice.

"Let's go in, shall we?" Our guardian moved past Lady Metcalf, her face filled with pride while the hostess glared at us all, especially me. Luckily, Lady Metcalf's looks couldn't kill, if not I would have become a gruesome stain on her floor.

We trailed behind our Aunt before splitting up ― Ella, Gertrude and I trying to make ourselves scarce while out other sisters hunted down bachelors. Anne and Maria immediately hung onto the nearest wealthy men like limpets and I had to gag at their desperation.

I couldn't wait for the day when women will live independently from men without being scorned.

"Aunt Branks seems really proud of you." Gertrude had joined Ella and me behind some potted plants. None of us were incredibly eager to find a partner.

Seeing that there wasn't even a hint of envy in her words, I gave her a tired smile. "I rather Aunt just continue ignoring or scolding me."

Gertrude let out a soft, musical laugh. Until now, I could not see why no man wanted to marry her. Yes, she was past the average marrying age of twenty-three, however she was quite a sweetheart.

"Aren't you at all flattered that Lord Dalgliesh seems interested in you?"

Ella nodded in agreement to Gertrude's question. Flattered? More of afraid and peeved. I just groaned. "Not at all. He seems like a tosser."

"But he acted so nice the last time." Confusion was written all over Ella's face. "He was the epitome of a perfect gentleman!"

My lips twitched humourlessly. "Not everyone is who they pretend to be." Dear innocent Ella did not look at all convinced but Gertrude stared at me with silent understanding. Bless my older sister's soul. She was the only sister besides Ella that I genuinely liked, despite us rarely ever interacting.