Three days in 2012: Hey there I said it, I'm in love with you

Richard has been waiting for the ball to drop.

He has learned that there are hardly ever mundane moments in life. Every little thing sets off another--it creates this chain reaction. It equally amazed and terrified him that a single and seemingly harmless thing, utterance or decision can change the course of everything.

He could not help but think about this wonderful opportunity life presented him. How lucky was he to able to relive several days of his life?

But throughout the whole thing, Richard could not help asking, anong kapalit?

Since reliving Maine's birthday in 2012, Richard has woken up to three wonderful mornings. For the first time since all of these has been happening, he stopped questioning his luck, he stopped wondering what he had to change in the past, he stopped thinking--and simply chose to relish those three perfect days he had the privilege of reliving.

*********

April 8, 2012

They were on semestral break and Maine was not able to fly to San Francisco to visit her parents as she had a couple of school requirements to finalize. Richard's mother then decided to take it upon herself to invite Maine over every chance she got. Today, his mother and Riza invited her to come over since his mother felt like baking up a storm.

Richard walks briskly into the kitchen and spots his mother crowding around the kitchen counter, leaning over a cook book with Riza and Maine.

"Oh Tisoy, anak! We finally decided what we're going to make this afternoon!"

Richard's face was slightly sullen, "Ma."

"Kuya, ang sungit mo naman masyado!" Riza walks over to him, grabs him by his arms and drags him over to the kitchen counter. "Kanina lang sobrang excited mo kasi pupunta si Ate Maine dito."

Richard noticed Maine's cheeks flushed a shade of crimson, trying to suppress a smile as she looked down at her feet. He walks to her and gave her a side hug, lightly bussing her cheeks to hers.

If you only knew how much I want to kiss you instead. To tell you how much I love you. But I can't just do that, right? I have to do things right.

Riza gave him a teasing smile, and Richard gives her a look and smiled cheekily at his little sister, reaching out to pinch her cheeks hard.

"Araaaay! Kuya naman eeee!!!"

He faced towards his Mother, and asked, "Ma, naka-amoy po ako ng cigarettes kanina when I passed by the porch after I took out the garbage."

Rose chose to smile at him sweetly, "Tisoy..."

"Ma naman eh. You told me you'll try to stop smoking. How many sticks kayo today?"

"Five pa lang, anak." His mom replied sweetly and placed her arms around his shoulder, "See, I've been smoking less, like you wanted. Smile ka na." She faced him and held his face in her hands.

"Ang gwapo gwapo ng Tisoy ko, lalo na kapag naka-ngiti. Tama ba, Maine?"

Maine laughs and agrees, "Oo naman, Tita! Rj, smile ka na, wag ka na magsungit kay Tita. We're making you're favorite."

Richard sighs in defeat. Paano naman ako magsusungit kung ganito sila sa akin. Susmaryosep.

"Ma, I really just want you to take care of your health. Minsan nahihirapan ka huminga, tapos ayaw mo pa magpa-general check-up."

"Nakakatakot kasi, Tisoy."

Maine speaks up, "Nako Tita, tama po diyan si Mr. Sungit. It's still better po if you go for a check-up. If you're really antsy about it, samahan po namin kayo."