March 3, 2012: You and I are gonna be Forever Alive (i)

Richard shot right up as he heard his alarm go off. He was surprised to find himself slumped over his study table, the light from his personal computer blinding him for a second. He saw countless papers scattered on the table, and a couple of books left open. He slowly lifted his arms and stretched--he couldn't even count how many late nights he has spent falling asleep while studying.

It was still dark outside.

He looked up and glanced at his wall clock.

5:30 a.m.

Why would I have set my alarm so early in the morning!?

Richard starts cleaning up the papers, placing them gingerly in a neat stack--the cluttered state of his study table was starting to irk him. As he picked up the last of the bunch, his eyes read over the title of the article, "The Principle of Condonation".

Oh.

He grabs the book nearest him and lightly touched it's spine, "The Law on Public Officers", he read out loud. His eyes widen in recognition, and he quickly starts searching for his phone. Being a little OCD, he kept his calendar updated with all of his appointments and deliverables. He opens up his calendar--it was going to be a long and not to mention hectic, day for Richard. But he sighs in relief, knowing that he has everything under control, he was on top of things.

He knew the content of his thesis like the back of his hand, he has Rule 131 of the Rules of Court memorized verbatim, he's read up on Estate Taxes at least twice before today.

But what worried him the most was the last agenda on the list.

March 3, 2012:

9:00 am - Evidence, Study Rule 131, pages 7 to 11 of the syllabus

3:00 pm - Taxation Law II, Quiz on Estate Taxes

6:00 pm - Juris Doctor Thesis Defense

...

...

...

...

All  day - Menggay's 24th Birthday 🎂

I know exactly what went wrong last time, and I'm going to make sure that doesn't happen again.

*********

Maine stared at the spread in front of her. Earlier this morning Richard called to greet her a happy birthday and told her he left a package for her at the lobby of the condominium she stayed in. He was saying sorry profusely for not  staying, going on about the hellish day he was about to have. He had two terror classes today and his thesis defense.

"Richard, it's okay. Chill out."

She knew for a fact how many nights he slaved over his juris doctor thesis--Richard was up for batch Valedictorian, and if he gets anything less than a 1.5 on his thesis, that will all go away. She has seen him for the past month sleep-deprived, the dark circles under his eyes growing more prominent each day. He has been losing a little weight too since he keeps forgetting to eat on time.

"Don't you dare forget to eat lunch, Faulkerson! Lagot ako sa mom mo if hindi ka kumain ng maayos today."

"Opo, Ma'am. I won't forget."

"Tss, I know you Rj. Makakalimutan mo. Kaya binilin ko na kay Valeen yung pangungulit sayo to eat."

"Yes. Promise talaga."

"Sorry din Rj ha, I won't be there when you official become a JD."

Maine has in fact been spending three out of six school days at the Public Attorneys Office for her externship.

"Ano ka ba Menggay, walang kaso yun. Ikaw tong may birthday, pero ako pa rin inaalala mo."

He was right. Am I overdoing things? Does he know? Halata na ba ako?

She tried to change the topic, "Susunod ka later for dinner, right Rj?"

"That's the plan, Menggay. I just hope na abutan ko kayo dun sa venue. But I can't completely promise, alam mo naman na since I'm going after honors, mas papahirapan ako ng panel."

She knew this was coming, "Relax, Richard, it's okay. If you don't make it, we can celebrate some other day."

"But it won't be your birthday anymore." She could actually imagine how his shoulders were slumped and how his forehead probably creased just by hearing his tone over the phone, "I feel like a shitty best friend. I'm sorry Maine."

"Richard, it's just one birthday, madami pang kasunod. Besides, it's your future on the line here, naiintindihan kita. Mas maiinis ako if you don't do well later kakaisip about how guilty you are. Lagot ka talaga sa akin if hindi ka nominated for best thesis." She laughs, trying to convince him that it was okay.

He laughs over the phone, "I'm so lucky to have you, Menggay." He paused as if wanting to say something else, and Maine could feel her chest tightening, finding it a little hard to breathe. She waited, but all she heard was a sigh--whatever it was he wanted to say, she guesses would have to be for another day.

Lagi na lang ganito, Richard.

"Buksan mo agad yung box after this call, okay? Happy birthday again, Menggay ko!"

"Thank you, Richard. Good luck, future Mr. JD!"

She snaps back to reality as she heard her phone continuously buzz, and she smiled as she replies her thank yous to all the greetings she received.

She stared at the box in front of her, wrapped in yellow colored paper. She lifted the top lid and felt warm tears pool under her eyes.

Richard had thoughtfully prepared each and every item inside that precious box.

A container of his Mom's chocolate cupcakes, with small candles already perched on top
of each of them and a small note on the side, she guesses was from Tita Rose. It read: Happy Birthday, our dearest Maine! Love, Tita Rose.

A DVD copy of Coldplay Live in Madrid she has been raving about since it first came out. She remembered one Saturday afternoon how she dragged Richard from one music store to another, just so she could get her hands on this--but they found out it wasn't available here in the first place. A lone post-it was stuck on the front, it read: One day, we'll watch them live, but for now, this will have to do. Happy Birthday, Nicomaine.

"Where... how did he get this?!"

When did have the time to actually get this? He was so busy! Paano niya pa to nagawa on top of all the other things he has to do.

Richard naman eh, how will I fall out of love with you when you do these things?

And just under the Coldplay record, was a letter.

Richard wrote Nicomaine a letter.

******
A/N: Sorry guys, it was accidentally published! Eeep! Anyway. Sorry if nabitin. May part 2 naman 🙃