t h i r t y - f i v e

Chapter 35 | Screams in the night and screams in the water.

'Sometimes, I push you away because I need you to pull me closer.' ~Anonymous.

Listen to 'Right next to you' by Chris Brown, ft Justin Bieber for this chapter.

<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>

I wake up in hysterics, my own screams forcing my eyes open. Beads of sweat trickle down my forehead and my neck, sliding down to my collar bone. These nightmares aren't irregular, and as I've mentioned before, they are horrible. Some are of the beatings I've received as a teen and others are of people I have never seen before. But this one was the scariest of all...

I was being restrained by some people in a special uniform. In the background, I could hear sirens - ones of an ambulance or police cars - blaring and wailing. But I wasn't paying attention to any of that. On the floor was Jaysen, on the brink of death. I could hear my own howls, begging for the people holding me back to release me so I could go to him. He had two bullet wounds, one in his shoulder and one just below his rib cage. He looked battered and bruised and my vision was blurry as the tears filled my eyes, but I could see the evident black eye and multiple scratches on his face and arms. His black t-shirt has been ripped and torn at, streaks of blood covering his whole body. It was a gory sight.

"Let me go! Let me help him!" I sobbed, pulling my arms where the men were gripping my wrist tightly. "Please. Please, let me help him." I looked down, not wanting to see Jaysen's tattered body. As I looked back up, I could see the small rising and falling of his chest. He's breathing. I sighed in relief but don't stop my resisting.

"Alina. Alina, stop. The paramedics are here and they will help him." Cole says. I turned to my side and attempted at glancing at him through the fat teardrops on the edge of my lashes.

"He doesn't need them. Please, let me see him one last time." I cried again, choking on my own sobs. I watched as a group of men in hospital uniforms gather around Jaysen, blocking my view of him. "No! No, please! I need to see him!" My body gradually got weaker and weaker and I felt as if someone had stabbed me and drained all my energy. It felt as if I haven't gotten a wink of sleep for years. My feet buckled underneath me and if not for the two men restraining me, I would've fallen and hurt myself even more.

"Get her to the other van. She needs help. She needs doctors." I could sense Cole shuffling away from me. A throbbing pain shot through my heart, like someone is jamming a poisoned knife in it repeatedly, sparing no mercy.

I'm roughly thrown over a broad shoulder, the bones in my hips and ribs and arms, everything hurting like a tonne of bricks banging against my body. My hands hung over the person's shoulder but I couldn't move my body anymore; in fact, I felt absolutely numb, everywhere. "Poor Kid. Aye, Wes? They've all been through so much at such a young age. You know, this one," I'm shaken a little, but at this point I could care less, even if they set fire to my body. "She's been physically tormented. Stabbed a few two times. Been fighting since she was fifteen. She might lose her boyfriend, too. What a shitty life, aye?"

"Yeah." The other guy says, but I almost missed it from how silently he said it.

My tank top clings to me at every edge of my body and when I run my hands over my chest, it's drenched with sweat. The nightmare seemed so vivid. I pat my face and feel wet tear marks staining my face. My heart is thumping loudly in my ears and I can feel a headache pricking at the back of my eyes. I kick back the rest of the covers - they were already at my ankles - swinging my legs over the edge of the bed, picking a new white tank top from my drawer and making my way to the hallway. This cabin in has two bathrooms so Blair and I are sharing one and the boys are sharing the other.