t h i r t e e n

Chapter 13 | Flashback.

Flashback |flaSH,bak|

• a sudden and disturbing vivid memory of an event in the past, typically as a result of physiological trauma.' ~New Oxford American dictionary.

Listen to 'Close' by Nick Jonas ft Tove lo for this chapter.

<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>

The sound of beeping brings me out of my fatigue state.

My eyes flutter open and pain shoots through my left hand all the way through my arm. I crane my head slowly to look at my hand. It's bandaged up, covered in white first aid fabric. I look down at my attire. I'm clad in a hospital gown. Hospital gown?! I start taking heavy breaths, on the verge of hyperventilating. Pulling back the sheets, I find one of my knees bandaged up.

I look around, taking in the scene. The walls are an old creamy white, peeling and they have scratches and marks coating them. The floor is simple white tile and a chair is on the right of the room. A television is set in front of me and a tray with food and a glass of water is set on a table.

The door swings open, revealing a very worried looking Blair. She races to me and embraces me into a strong hug. "Oh my god! You're okay!" She squeals into my hair. "I thought you were going to die." Well, that's reassuring. "Thank gosh you're okay."

Another person, runs into the room, ripping Blair off me. "Blair! We told you to wait!" A deep male voice warns. I recognise the voice as Dustyn. Blair thrashes around in his hold and he puts her down and she crosses her arms over her chest.

"I've waited long enough to see my best friend." She growls out, patting her foot on the ground.

Dustyn chuckles and looks at me. "Hey," he smiles and occupies the seat next to my bed.

"Hey," I croak out, my voice coming out strained and raspy. "What happened?"

He sighs and takes my small hand in his huge one, patting the top of my hand. "Long story short, you're pretty busted up. But, you can get out of the hospital hopefully by the end of the week. You had surgery on your hand while you were out, and they had to attach your nerves, muscles, etcetera, together. They also looked at your leg and your bone is bruised, and the doctors said it will take some time to heal and will hurt indefinitely. You can't use your hand for three months. That means-"

"No fucking fighting! No way in fuck!" I scream angrily. No way. I can't fight. For three months. What am I going to do for that long period of time? Twiddle my thumbs? This can't be happening. I know I've done bad things, but what did I do that was so bad that I can't even fight now?

Dustyn sighs. "I know." He tilts his head to the side, a mocking smile taking form on his evil face. "And there is actually a competition coming up soon. Guess you can't enter." He shrugs and smirks mockingly.

"Little fuck... c'mere!" I say, waving my good hand around to hit him. He stands up off the seat and backs away to the door.

He starts to laugh, doubling over and clutching his stomach. "By the way, Jaysen is coming to visit you. See ya!" he calls and dashes for the door.

I open my mouth but Blair puts a hand up. "On it," she says before following Dustyn out the door.

I take a deep breath and look back at my hand, recalling the memories from last night and fitting them in my thousand piece puzzle board. My mum works or worked for the ASIS in Canberra. She made a shit load of enemies and one of them was Jim who she landed in jail for twenty years. She married my dad and had me, then died. My dad remarried quickly and killed Jim's only daughter in a car crash. Jim had it in for my mum and dad and is seeking out revenge on me. The group of people that work for the ASIS would have tried to find me but Jim, Diana and Dylan found me first and now they want my head on a silver platter.