t h i r t y - o n e

Chapter 31 | "I'll know that you know."

'Understand me. I'm not like an ordinary world. I have my madness, I live in another dimension and I do not have time for things that have no soul.' ~Charles Bukowski.

Listen to 'Give your heart a break' by Demi Lovato for this chapter.

<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>

I stare at myself through my long floor length mirror. Today is my wagging day. I haven't ditched in a while, surprisingly. Besides yesterday when I skipped my last two periods, for the last three months I haven't left the school grounds in between school hours, which is really weird for me not to do. I guess it's because I've been so overwhelmed with everything that's been going on in my life, I haven't really had time to ditch. Besides, I've been having some secret conversations with Cole regarding Diana. She hasn't been seen anywhere by anyone which is really odd. It's impossible for her to just disappear off the face of the earth just like that. Then again, she has always been a keep-to-myself type of girl, very similar to me.

I'm dressed in my simple denim, high waisted jeans with a black singlet top tucked in with a circular neakine. On my shoulders, I have a bland black givenchy bomber jacket. The weather is heating up because it is almost spring but it has been raining a lot more than it recently had. The jacket is loose and baggy so I know I won't die of heat but it's small enough so that I'm not freezing either. On my feet, I have some brown combat boots, and around my neck, I have the necklace Jaysen gave me for my birthday and my gordian knot pendant chain, both hanging out since tucking it in a singlet isn't the best idea.

I lean towards the little arm chair in the corner of my room near the window and pluck my black Y-3 debossed cap of the headrest, pulling it on my hair. I left my long, brown hair down, with some tendrils in front of my ears and the rest tucked behind. I still look punk and badass, which I'm happy for. Maybe I should wear my hair down more often.

"Alina! Come down to eat!" Blair calls from downstairs. "You, too, Casper!" I look towards my half open door and with a heavy sigh, I hoist my black backpack over my shoulders, making sure everything is in it before walking down the corridor. Casper catches up to me and walks by my side as we stroll down the stairs.

"How'd you sleep, kid?" I ask, trying to make conversation. His face lights up a bit, and I don't see the usual bags that are under my eyes on his face.

"It was very good! I had a dream that Ava and I were in the park holding hands!" He says ecstatically. I smile at his innocent dreams. I wish he would stay that way and never grow up. From what he's told me, Ava is a very nice girl and they really are hitting it off. I can see them together when they are older. Yeah, that would be nice.

"That's interesting. You gonna hold her hand today?" I ask in a mischievous way.

He gasps and shakes his head violently. "Nah-uh. We are too young and I don't know if she likes me yet." I raise an eyebrow as we pull out our seats and sit at the dining table. Blair passes me an apple and pushes a bowl of Nurti-Grain cereal in front of Casper. He picks up the spoon and starts to mix the liquid content. "I mean, I'd have to ask her to hold her hand. I can't just do it without her permission because that is very ungentlemanlike." My eyebrows shoot up to my hairline. Big word you got there, kid, I think to myself.

"But you are just holding her hand. What's the big deal?" I ask, still not fully understanding why he won't do that simple little action.

"The big deal is that we are young, and I don't know much about 'relationships,'" he does air quotes with his fingers. "When I'm older and know more things, I will do it properly. I want to make her feel special and I want her to see how much she means to me." I can't help my jaw dropping and hitting the table. My eyes are the size of saucers where Blair looks unaffected by his comment as she starts pushing her bacon and eggs around on her plate before taking a small bite of her food.