Chapter 1 Sleep

Oh Catastrophe & The Fallout  by Crown the Empire

I stare up at the ceiling when a suffocating feeling of panic starts at the center of my chest and spread to every nerve in my body. I sit there letting this sudden feeling wash over me. I always had a good intuition but never had a feeling this strong. I can't explain it I just knew when something bad is going to or already happened, even though I don't know what. 

I cross my woodsy bedroom. Just this year when I turned 10 my mom allowed me to paint my walls. Realistic trees line my bedroom, closely resembling a thick forest. Bushes line the bottom of the trees enhancing the Wild view. In between the trees you can see glimpses of wolves. Their eyes making them stand out from the trees. Only a signal white wolf can be visibly seen in the forest without searching, and she is the only one with her eyes close lying besides my bed.

I walk to my black door. I need to find my mom. I think to my self trying to stay calm. She will know what to do, and if not she will help comfort me. My mom is my sole provider. My father has been missing since I was eight. Whether he skipped out on us or is dead I have no clue. My mom was devastated and is still, but she is strong and has held it together and continue to raise me. Of course she have her week moments time to time but her rationality and stubbornness keeps her from bowing under her feelings. I try to channel her, keeping myself calm even as unjustified terror press on me, threatening to crush my very heart.

As I walk through my hallway my terror grew. I slow and strain my hearing, trying to find something out of the ordinary. In the middle of the night it's hard to see in the darkness of the hallway. I contemplate turning on a light, but I decide against it. Something is telling me to be quiet and cautious. I follow my instinct.  

I creep to my mom room, bypassing the kitchen. As my dread grew, I knew my mom was in trouble. Finally I threw caution out the window. I run to my mom's room, and threw her door open so hard that the door bang loudly against the wall. I stair frozen in the door way. My heart does a painful squeeze, then stutters and stops in my chest.

My mother... my best friend and substitution for my father is slumped against the wall. The only thing holding her up is a sword slain through her chest piercing all the through to the wall behind her. Her black hair falls around her face. My heart starts beating again. I wish it hadn't because with it came agony. I wanted to collapse against it. Instead I stumble my way to her. Blood soaks her, running from her mouth down her large Avenged Sevenfold T-shirt that stuck to her like glue, to her feet, pooling there. I grab the hilt of the sword and yank it out. I catch her before she collapse to the floor. My mothers is tall, but thin, like a dancer. Even so her dead weight knocks me to the floor. Her luke warm blood soaks my back as her dead body lay on top of me. I whimper. 

"Sorry." I whisper like she is still alive. With some maneuvering I sit up against the wall with my mom half on half off my lap.I hold her head close to my chest. "Mom what happened?" I ask quietly. I receive no answer. Tears stream from my eyes. "It's okay. You just rest. I'll stay here with you. I'll protect you from know on." I nod my head. "Yes I will stay by your side until I can join you in your sleep." Again I gain no answer. I give anything to hear her voice again.

"Remember the night you told me dad was missing?" I ask her. This time I didn't wait for her her to answer. "You told me would be fine that we still had each other forever." I remind her. I shake her a little. "So come back to me. You said forever. Forever is more then 3 years you know." I try to joke, but it comes out thick with tears. 

"I remember our drawing contest. Your would always draw places we would visit one day like India, Japan, and Fuji. Do you remember? I would draw pretty dreams like the fey and shapeshifters.  I never told you but the pretty white wolf by my bed is you. It represent your protectiveness and purity always keeping the bad things away even without trying...until now. But that's okay. You need rest."

I look at my mother's face. Her full lips was open slightly; you can tell that her eyes are big even though they were shut. I knew they would never open again and this realization shattered all my pretenses. Sobs tear from my mouth so violently I gasp for air between them. I sit there crying with my mother clutched to my chest. Finally I wore my self out and fell into a deep sleep. 

THIS IS JUST THE BEGINNING OF MY SUFFERING.