Set Out

"So when are you and Aoi heading out, Ace?" Garp asked. Ace's head snapped up from the locket.

"How did you know we were leaving?" Ace asked. Garp cocked an eyebrow at Ace.

"Because I know you and I figure that she won't let you go alone. Plus the new installment in your tattoo." Garp said. It was true. Both Ace and Aoi had added a Strawhat to their tattoos, showing that not only were they still Whitebeard Pirates, but they were also Strawhat Pirates.

Ace stared at the ground by his feet.

"Soon..." Ace said.

"You don't want to go?" Garp asked.

"Of course I want to go. I want to see Luffy. To protect him. But... I'm not ready to let go of my babies..." Ace said.

"Now you know how Luffy's father must have felt when he left. I know my son, and I know it must have tore him apart to leave Luffy behind. He probably doesn't even know about Mae's death." Garp said.

(A/N: Mae is the name I'm giving to Luffy's mother since we actually have no idea what his mom's name actually is.)

Ace sighed and looked out the window, seeing Aoi sitting down, showing Rogue the proper way to hold Rose.

"I want to protect them." Ace said.

"You're a good father, Ace." Garp said. Ace smirked.

"I hope to be better." He said. Ace stood and went outside to his family. Rogue immediately asked his dad to play with him, to wich Ace happily obliged.

Garp stood in the door way and watched Ace play with his oldest child. He didn't see Aoi hand Rose off to Dadan and approach him.

Silently, The bluenette leaned against the house. She watched Garp watch Ace, knowing that memories of Ace's childhood were flashing before his eyes.

"He never could have been a marine, you know. Eventually Sengoku would have found out about his true lineage and still would have done something." She said. Garp's eyes shifted over to her. He sighed softly.

"Is that so?" He asked. Aoi nodded.

"If Ace was a marine, all the people that love and care about him would end up hating him. And no one would have come to his rescue. It's a grim outlook, but it's true. Ace was born to be a pirate. Not just because of Roger, but because it's who he is." She said.

"You don't believe either of my grandsons could have been marines, do you?" He asked. She looked at him.

"Garp, I may have never set foot inside a marine base, but believe me when I say that I know close to all of the Marine's secrets. And that is why I am a pirate." She said.

"Is that so?" He asked. Aoi nodded.

"There are many things I know that you would never believe me on." She said. The two fell silent. They watched as Ace laughed and played with Rogue.

"Your boy would be a great marine.... But I'm sure that he'll better serve as a pirate, just as his father before him." Garp said.

"I could care less on what path Rogue decides to take when he becomes mature." Aoi replied. Garp stared at her in shock.

"You do not care on what path he takes?" Garp asked. Aoi shook her head.

"It's not my choice to make. It's his. All I care is that he is safe and happy. If it were up to me, I'd have him living here on this island for the rest of his life. But, I have the feeling that Rogue is going to be like his parents and do what ever he damn well pleases. After all, if I did as my mother wished for me, I'd be a prostitute. And if I were like my father, I'd be a drug dealing murderer." Aoi said. Garp's jaw dropped at her.

"What, are you surprised? I am a pirate, the majority of us don't come from happy joyous paths." Aoi said.

"You are... Nothing like I thought you'd be. Though, it is quite easy to see why Ace loves you so dearly." Garp said.

"Is it?" She asked.

"For the woman that single handedly crushed all of Sakazuki's internal organs, you're rather kind hearted." He said. She smirked.

"So I've been told." She said. Garp rested a hand on the woman's shoulder.

"Welcome to the family, Aoi." He said. Aoi smirked.

"Thanks." She said

Time skip

"Ready?" Aoi asked. Ace shook his head.

"Hell no. I just want to hold her for a little bit longer." Ace said. He gently cradled his five month old daughter. She giggled up at her daddy.

"Ace." Aoi said. Ace tore his eyes from his baby girl and looked at his wife.

Aoi rested her hands on his arms, leaned up and kissed him softly.

"It's not like you'll never see her again. We'll be back here before you know it." Aoi said. Ace sighed and looked down at the baby.

"Daaa!" She squealed, bringing tears to Ace's eyes.

"I love you, Rose. Be a good girl for Dadan and help out brother." Ace sad softly. Rose blew a raspberry at Ace. Ace chuckled and kissed his daughter on the forehead.

"Daddy? Where are you and momma goin?" Rogue asked as Ace passed Rose to Dadan. Ace knelt down infront of his son.

"We're going to go see Uncle Luffy. We're gonna be gone for a while, but we'll come back. I promise." Ace said as he ruffled Rogue's hair.

"I wanna come see Uncle Wuffy!" Rogue said. Ace laughed and rubbed the almost two year old's hair.

"Sorry, bubby, Uncle Luffy is a long way away. And I need you to be a big boy and help Dadan take care of Rose. Can you do that for me?" Ace asked. Rogue did the Attack on Titan salute that Aoi taught him.

"I'm big boy!" Rogue said. Ace kissed his son's head.

"I know I can count on you." Ace said. Ace slid the red beads he always wore off and put them on Rogue.

"Hold on to this. As long as you wear those beads, you know that mom and I will be coming back. Okay?" Ace asked.

"Okay!" Rogue grinned.

"Bye-bye, buddy." Aoi said. Rogue hugged her.

"I wuv you!" He said. Aoi kissed his head.

"I love you, too. We'll be back soon. Be a good boy." Aoi said. Rogue did the salute again.

"Yup!" He said. Ace hugged Rogue and kissed his head again.

"See you soon, kiddo." Ace said. Rogue gave him a double thumbs up. Ace and Aoi turned to the striker.

"Hardest 180 of my life." Ace said. Aoi nodded.

"Don't cry." She said.

"Too lat- speak for yourself!" Ace laughed. He wiped the tears away from Aoi's eyes.

"It's like you said, Aoi. It's not like we're never gonna see them again. We'll be back before you know it." Ace said. Aoi reached up and wiped the tear off his cheek.

"Let's go." She said. Aoi threw her board down and leapt on as Ace jumped on his striker. And with that, they set out towards the grandline once again. Neither of them knowing for sure when they would once again set foot on the shores of Dawn Island. Or when they would see their babies again.

But now it was time to focus on the task at hand. Getting to Sabody Archipelago to meet with Luffy and his crew, to help Luffy become King of the Pirates.

And the part Ace didn't know.

To finally meet Sabo again.