twenty one➵ revelations & risks

"My father told me once that the most important thing every [wo]man should know is what [s]he would die for."

- Tana French, Faithful Place

Evelyn's POV

    Waking up, not remembering where I am or what got me here, has seemed to become a normalcy for my life lately. So when I come to in an unfamiliar bed on floor that isn't rocking, I'm only caught off guard slightly.

    I don't remember much of last night, all I know is that I was forced onto a ship and taken back to Port Royal because I'm just a damn good person and didn't want any harm to come to Jack. Even the idea of that makes me shudder and I wonder if he feels the same.

    "Good morning, miss," Some lady walks into the room and my eyes open fully to see the silk blankets that cover my body and I rub my eyes, knowing this must be a dream. She begins tidying up around the room, and when I pull the blanket down I notice that I'm wearing a very see-through short nightgown.

    "Where the hell am I?" I groan, trying to stretch my arms but when I hear clangs as if from metal and my arms are restricted from reaching any higher, is when I realize I'm been chained down. Looking to my sides, my suspicions were correct and I roll my eyes looking back to the wide-eyed woman holding a feather-duster in her hands.

    "Um...Mr. Beckett had you...dressed and let you sleep in here," She looks nervous as she inches closer, "It's quite comfortable in here, you have to admit." When she gets closer, I don't miss the faded scars and some fresh marks on her arms and legs. I try to reach out and stop her from coming any closer but once again, my arm is held back annoyingly.

    "What does he want with me?" The name Beckett doesn't ring a bell in my head and I find myself even more confused at this entire string of events. How do these men even know Jack? He must be in more trouble than I thought.

    "Well, truthfully, I'm sure he'd love to have his way with you," She blinks rapidly and gulps at her words which cause me to ball my hands into tight fists, "But that's not why you're here." Her words slightly reassure but as I look down at my get-up, I find a small flaw in her words.

    "Uh...are you sure about that?" Eyeing my white nightgown, she also glimpses down toward the see-through fabric and quickly averts her gaze.

    "I'm sorry, I've said too much." She replies timidly, handing me a perfectly ironed gown and I scrutinize it with distaste. I've never been one for gowns. The girl exits the room but not before sticking a key into the locks of my chains, freeing me from my restraints. As soon as she leaves, I quickly stand to my feet, stretching and immediately looking for a way out. Unfortunately, they thought my arrival through too much and put bars over the outside of the windows, disallowing me to escape.

    Huffing in annoyance at this, I quickly take off the tiny scrap of clothing and throw it to the side. Examining the gown for a moment, I quickly take it upon myself to make the dress into a long-sleeve with pants. Finding some scissors, I fashion my outfit and surprisingly, it looks quite well when I look in the floor-length mirror that's in the over-sized room. Who's room is this? I don't think I'd like to find out.

    Exiting the room, I find out that I'm right by the water when I walk down a long outdoor hall that faces the ocean. I breathe in the salty air and the spray of the sea, the ocean calling to me, beckoning for me to come back.

    Slowly, I make my way into the nearest building to my room and just as I enter, three guards stop me.

    "Where's Beckett?" I immediately question and that's when their eyes trail down my body, smirk at each other and allow me through.